AdWords
3.4K members online now
3.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

search results anomally / contradiction

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When I do a #keyword  search and choose 'Broad' match on the right hand side of the screen via the pencil, when I download a list to Excel, although there is a column which labels them as broad, the 'Average Searches' column labels them as 'Exact only'.  Why is this?  Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Denise A
September 2015

Re: search results anomally / contradiction

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

About 

"I will also look for and try: "Get traffic estimates for a list of keywords", albeit, I cannot say I have seen that option."

I made a print-screen with where to find this option :

where-is-keyword-planner.png

About "This is confusing however, if you select 'Broad'. It makes no sense. I will check the link. I am not sure that you see the contradiction? "

Yes I was also confused until I've read the info bubble near the "Avg. Monthly Searches" (see below) and it says that for different match types I should check the review page which means doing a lot of steps :

1) adding the desired keywords,

2) clicking "review estimates" ,

3) entering a bid ,

4) clicking on the "Keyword" tab,

5) selecting the keywords and

6) changing the match type from the button "Edit match types"

In short it is better to research traffic directly from the "Traffic estimator".

info-bubble-average-monthly-searches.png

View solution in original post

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

It is correct, that metric shows only statistics for the exact match variant , as described here :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3022575?hl=en&ref_topic=3175091

• Average monthly searches ("Avg. monthly searches"): The average number of times people have searched for the exact keyword based on the location and Search Network targeting that you've selected. We average the number of searches for the term over a 12-month period.

To see estimates for a match type such as broad match, which are estimates not monthly searches, you can use the 3rd option "Get traffic estimates for a list of keywords" . 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
This is confusing however, if you select 'Broad'. It makes no sense. I will check the link. I am not sure that you see the contradiction? I will also look for and try: "Get traffic estimates for a list of keywords", albeit, I cannot say I have seen that option.
Thanks for taking the time.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Denise A
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

About 

"I will also look for and try: "Get traffic estimates for a list of keywords", albeit, I cannot say I have seen that option."

I made a print-screen with where to find this option :

where-is-keyword-planner.png

About "This is confusing however, if you select 'Broad'. It makes no sense. I will check the link. I am not sure that you see the contradiction? "

Yes I was also confused until I've read the info bubble near the "Avg. Monthly Searches" (see below) and it says that for different match types I should check the review page which means doing a lot of steps :

1) adding the desired keywords,

2) clicking "review estimates" ,

3) entering a bid ,

4) clicking on the "Keyword" tab,

5) selecting the keywords and

6) changing the match type from the button "Edit match types"

In short it is better to research traffic directly from the "Traffic estimator".

info-bubble-average-monthly-searches.png

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Adrian
i really appreciate your taking the time here. I will go over this at the weekend to fully get my head around everything. Many thanks. Have a great weekend Smiley Happy