AdWords
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

real conversion value/cost

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I'm on creating a new Adwords account for a new client and he has an Ecommerce site and as such I have the problem of needing monetary values from sales returned into Adwords. With my other clients it is simple, as they are all based around lead generation and sites similar to that, so I can add the conversion code to the thank you/conversion page and I'm informed when there has been a conversion. I then work on a cost per converion basis for the client and everything is straight forward.

The new client sells thousands of different products and as such I need the sale amount returned into Adwords for me to optimise the account correctly. Adwords conversion code does not do this. Is there a way of solely setting up analytics code on the site, or even Ecommerce tracking, so that all data is imported into Adwords, including the monetary sale amount from each transaction?

I know when working for a big agency in the past all ecommerce accounts had full sales values returned to Adwords and at the time I just thought that was standard for Adwords and the norm. Any help would really be appreciated and I'm sure many have gone through this problem before me.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: real conversion value/cost

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Paul, welcome to the Community.

Why do you think the AdWords Conversion code doesn't return a value?  This process is key to running AdWords with an ecommerce site and it's a very normal situation.

You have two options with the AdWords Conversion code.  You can set up a fixed value for a conversion which you can enter at the time the code is generated.  This, I imagine, is perhaps what you've been doing to date if ascribing values to lead generation.  However, you can also simply edit the code to include a real "basket" value upon checkout.  There are two places within the code you'll need to edit; one inside the JavaScript itself and one inside the <noscript> tag.  Once you've done this, the conversion code will report back precise sale values, exactly as you describe.

Conversion tracking is limited compared to Analytics ecommerce reporting in that it shows virtually no detail - all you'll get is a figure - so Analytics is better for in-depth analysis, but that's why it exists. 

Set Up Conversion Tracking

You'll find the information you need under "Track conversion specific values".

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Paul S,

If your client has fully implemented the eCommerce tracking, the eCommerce transactions are available as conversions imported from Analytics. This will carry the value of the sale with it to AdWords reporting.

Another option, if check out is on a different domain, is to use the AdWords conversion tracking code and to have your shopping cart software replace the value of google_conversion_value with the actual value of the sale. Either way gets you a real sales total.

Best of Luck!

Pete

PS Do not use goal completions in this case for conversion tracking. Those will all have the same value. And do not import both goals and transactions as conversion as that will double report each conversion.

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jon

Thank you very much for your informative reply. The reason I thought you couldn't get the monetary value returned to Adwords with just the conversion code is each manager I've spoken to at Google or Google Engage has said it is not part of Adwords conversion code and can't be done and I would need to use some third party tracking software. I was told this yet again only last week when I asked again because of the new client. So even stranger how it's a Google information page that explains how to get what I want.

This seems straight forward enough but I have one question. The information page explains how to add the snippet of code, for ASP, JSP and PHP pages, but what happens if the thank you page is a HTML page?

Thanks for your help, it's most appreciated.

Paul

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Pete

And thanks for your help with this. Regarding the eCommerce tracking, I know how to select the options within the analytics profile for eCommerce but doesn't the code need to be modified by a programmer too for it to work?

Many thanks.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Paul, it'd be really nice to refer the people you've spoken to to the Help files, or to us!

If your page is standard HTML you'll have to code with whatever your checkout system uses for calculating and presenting transaction values.  It may be JavaScript (in which case Pete is going to be a lot more help than me).  The method is always the same though, you need to get your chosen value in to replace the "0" in the original code.

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Jon

That should be enough to see me through.

I appreciate it.

Paul

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

No problem Paul, do come back to us again if you have any other questions and let us know how you get on with the tracking.

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Pete
Could you please help again. The page I need to place the code on built in HTML so the options from the help page, which are for pages built in ASP, PHP and JSP, are no use to me.

The variable I need to add is - NumericOrderTotal. I know it goes in something like - var google_conversion_value = <?NumericOrderTotal ?>;

The trouble is I don't know the exact format as it could be wrapped in <% or <? or something totally different.

Would you possibly know how this variable is added, considering the page is built in HTML?

Much appreciated.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jon

Could you please help again. The page I need to place the code on built in HTML so the options from the help page, which are for pages built in ASP, PHP and JSP, are no use to me.

The variable I need to add is - NumericOrderTotal. I know it is added into the code something like - var google_conversion_value = <?NumericOrderTotal ?>;

The trouble is I don't know the exact format as it could be wrapped in <% or <? or something totally different.

Would you possibly know how this variable is added, considering the page is built in HTML?

Much appreciated.