AdWords
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

"Other Search Terms" Low CTR but converting

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

In the search terms report, I am getting above 2% CTR for most of my terms in a certain ad group.  However, at the bottom the "Other Search Terms" are getting .10%.  The number of impressions, for the keywords I can see, total around 1000, but the number of impressions for "Other Search Terms" are almost 10,000.

Couple of questions.  First, isn't this low CTR negatively affecting my Quality Score for the keywords they are triggering.  Second, would you switch to all exact match types(a lot of the keywords in this group are Broad)?  Out of the 48 clicks, I have 2 conversions which is great for me.  So, I hesitate to switch to all exact because I don't want to lose on sales.  However, if my Quality Score is being affected enough, I may be losing out on more sales by not changing.

Thanks

P.S.  I just checked one of my ad groups that has nothing but exact matches and there are still too many "other search terms" with terrible CTR.  Although the ratio is much smaller.  There are 70000 total impressions in group, but 12000 are under "other".  What gives?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: "Other Search Terms" Low CTR but converting

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hey, Tommy. Are you targeting both the Search and the Display Network in the same campaign?
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
AdWiser,
This is strictly a search network campaign.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Quite a lot for a search only campaign (the "other" search terms). Nevertheless, here are some considerations:

- any search term often triggered by a broad match keyword, which performs well, deserves its place as a new keyword
- any search term with a decent number of clicks and with a bad performance deserves its place as a negative keyword
- broad keywords are for the discovery phase, when you can't guess what people are really searching for; in time, their impressions should decrease and impressions for more targeted keywords should decrease
- you can definitely run phrase and exact matches of those broad keywords, without pausing the broad match one

Also, keep in mind a rather important aspect with regards to keywords and search terms, QS and CTR.

QS is heavily influenced by CTR. However, the QS of a keyword is only updated when the search term matches the keyword exactly. Therefore if you have vague keywords that trigger various search terms with good CTR, that good CTR cannot influence the QS of that keyword.

If you, however, include those useful (high CTR) search terms as keywords, their QS will be updated every time they are typed in again.

Hope it helps, I kinda wrote it in a hurry and without double checking it.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.