AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

"Geographic" vs. "User Locations"?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What's the difference between the "Geographic" Dimension and "User Location"?

I am targeting Canada.  In the "Geographic" view I see that 99.99% of my impressions are in Canada, as I would expect.  (The 10 impressions in the U.S. I'm prepared to believe is a mistake.)  

But in the "User Locations" view, I'm seeing impressions and clicks all over the world amounting to about 6% of my total clicks over the past year. That's a lot since I'm paying for them.

So, again, what's the difference between the two views?  And why are my ads getting shown outside Canada at all?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Loopy
September 2015

Re: "Geographic" vs. "User Locations"?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Loopy,

What is your Location Options set to? The default setting is "People in, searching for, or viewing pages about my targeted location (recommended)", which would show your ad to people outside your target area.

I found this:

Two types of data are available for geographic location:

• Geographic: Your Geographic data shows your customers' physical locations or locations that they had shown interest in through searches on Google or Google Maps.
  • User location: Your User Location data shows only your customers' physical locations, regardless of any locations they may be interested in.

on this page: http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453994?hl=en

Your numbers seem to indicate your location options are set to the default. If you want your ad to show for people physically located within Canada, change this setting to "People in my targeted location".

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Pete,

That's exactly it!  Thanks so much for your help with this.

Mike

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I can see Geographic searches in less then User location. Any reason?