AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

"Expected" conversion rate question

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm running Adwords ads for an audiobook on Audible.com.  I have no direct way (that I know of) to find out the actual  conversion rate.  But maybe somebody can give me a ballpark estimate.  My royalty on a sale is about $4.75.  I have found that I can buy clicks for about 85 cents.  Assuming a good ad and a good landing page, could I ever hope to break even on this deal?  That would be a conversion rate of about 20%.  20% is too high to expect, right?  What would be a typical conversion rate on this type of a product?  What should I be paying for clicks?  And then finally, maybe Adwords is just not a good idea for this type of product.

Any help would be appreciated.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: "Expected" conversion rate question

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Storyteller,

It does sound like your cutting your profits short here. But what you could try is bidding on long tail keywords with a lower cost per click. Longtail keywords arent as broad so this should also help with your conversions. You may also want to think about phrase or exact matching these phrases to improve your overall click through rate & write good call to action as ad copy.

You may also want to run a specific campaign on the display network. With the display network you can target your market demographically & by interest/category. So for eg if your audio book is about 'business' you can target business related forums/blogs & those who are older than 18.

Hope this helps

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
20% conversion rate is high and only to be expected from very targeted advertising (such as exact match keywords). Generally speaking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Okay, thank you, Royce.  A bunch of good ideas.  Can you just give me a ballpark on what a person might expect for a conversion rate -- 10%, 5%, 1%,  1/2%  or what?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, David.  I'm going to have to get these clicks for pennies, right?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

I guess so.

The math looks like this:

conversion rate X max cost per conversion = max bid

Hard to know the figures on beforehand though

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Okay Tom, that's very good general information.  But is there a rule-of-thum between CPC and conversion value.  Let's say my conversion value is $5.  What do I have to get my clicks for?  20 cents, 2 cents, one-half cent?

Does anybody ever use Adwords where the conversion value is under $5.  Instead should I be use the display network?  And can I even use the display network at all where I'm selling x-rated material.  Will they even let me?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Let's say my conversion value is $5.  What do I have to get my clicks for?  20 cents, 2 cents, one-half cent?

That depends on your conversion rate. If your conversion rate is 5%, you can pay at most 25 cents per klick (and then your just breaking even). 5*5%=0,25

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 10
Badged Google Partner

Tom