AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

(not set) appears in Analytics AdWords Reports 2 days ago

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Is anyone else seeing this issue, any ideas on why it started only 2 days ago?

• No code changes
  • 5 separate accounts with 5 separate webmasters, all accounts see this behavior --see below-- on the same day
  • No 3rd party tracking tools

EDIT: I noticed that since Tuesday, clicks are higher than sessions for each ad group.  Pre Monday, sessions are always higher than clicks, as expected.  

(not set) began to appear in nearly all of my clients Google Analytics reports on Tuesday Feb 10th.  Specifically in the Acquisition / AdWords menu.  This is happening across multiple unrelated clients, e-commerce and non e-commerce.

It's a considerable amount and they are showing as sessions not clicks. In the 2 days, 147 total sessions in the (not set) of +500 total sessions.  Account received 450 or so clicks.

For a giggle, i set it to Jan 1, 2014 to present, no (not set) data appears until Feb 10th.

Online chat support could not help solve the problem, I'm guessing it's a non-reported bug as of yet and not in their decision tree.

This is not happening because of a code change, I am 100% sure of that.  Well, unless all of my accounts, who have separate webmasters decided to change their tracking codes or other setting on Tuesday.

analytics-bug.gif

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: (not set) appears in Analytics AdWords Reports 2 days ago

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Andre,

"Not Set" appears in GA for number of reasons. You may have a look on this link, which will clear all your doubts Smiley Happy

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2820717?hl=en

Thanks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Rohit, thanks I'm aware of the reasons.

What does not make sense is that it would only start showing up on Tuesday. These accounts (5+ clients), all of this (not set) data started showing in Analytics on that date. Why did it begin only 2 days ago on so many accounts that are un-related, separate companies and business entities?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have the same issue here.

Think It's got something to do with the update regarding the URL Parameters (ValueTrack).

EDIT: Do you use any 3rd party tracking parameters like Sitecatalist or Omniture? That is probably the cause.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Andre,

Few of the heat checks you might be interested in looking at:-

1. Did you make any changes to the tracking code in your website?

2. Make sure you have auto tagging enabled so that Google AdWords can auto populate the data in your Analytics account.

3. Also make sure you have data sharing enabled because sometimes, these basic steps lead to data discrepancies around your analytics profile.

I would also suggest you to read this excellent PDF which AdWords support officially provided in their blog: http://services.google.com/fh/files/blogs/google-adwords-and-analytics-better-together.pdf

In case you are using custom parameters or custom URLs to sync data with your third party tool, then you certainly need to look at the recent change provided by AdWords as mentioned above.

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes, I've got exactly the same - again over all my clients - (not set) accounts for about 20% of visitors. There was a bit problem with it back in November and it took Google forever to sort it out. See here: https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Tracking-Reporting/Why-am-I-seeing-not-set-in-my-Google-Anal...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Nicki, thanks for replying.

We are not using any 3rd party tools, just Analytics & I made no changes. All 5+ accounts decided on Tuesday to start tracking this data.

What is telling is that we are talking 5+ unrelated accounts here and no changes were made to any of of them.

I think the Google people are replying the standard responses when someone sees (not set). I'm a tad frustrated on that front Smiley Wink

Thanks again.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Louise, thanks for replying. I'm going to post a screen shot if I can to show what the report looks like. When I view Analytics / Acquisition / Campaign. Campaign = not set, then I drill into Ad Group = Not set, then keyword = not set.

So it's not just a search query, it's showing traffic from AdWords with no campaign data and completely anonymous for lack of a better word.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

analytics-bug.gif

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes, we have the same issue since Tuesday.