AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

no conversion tracking set up. how to judge revenue from campaign ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
3 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David P
September 2015

Re: no conversion tracking set up. how to judge revenue from campaign

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi David, and welcome to the Community.  The answer to that is pretty simple; set up Conversion tracking.

This may sound like a flippant answer but it's really the best course of action.  Unless you have a very good reason for not doing so (if, for example, you're an affiliate advertiser with no control over the landing page) you should always have some form of conversion tracking set up, either in AdWords, Analytics (eCommerce) or preferably both.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi David,

Without any kind of tracking it's pretty much impossible to attribute traffic to a source. Without being able to attribute to a source, you are unable to say where a sale originated.

Consider an extreme example - let's say you had 1,000 visitors to your siter and made 100 sales - great - that means that 10% of all visitors purchased.

True so far....

So if 200 of my visitors came from Adwords (and I know this because I can see that my Adwords campaigns had that many clicks) then 20 sales came from AdWords....

Nope - not true... could be all 100 sales came from Adwords, could be not one sale came from AdWords - or anywhere in between.

When tracking is so vital to successful AdWords management - and when Google Analytics is free - why are you not tracking converions?

You really should be - otherwise you could be wasting money - or - perhaps even worse - not exploiting to the full a source of revenue that could be making you a lot more money than it is.....

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi David, and welcome to the Community.  The answer to that is pretty simple; set up Conversion tracking.

This may sound like a flippant answer but it's really the best course of action.  Unless you have a very good reason for not doing so (if, for example, you're an affiliate advertiser with no control over the landing page) you should always have some form of conversion tracking set up, either in AdWords, Analytics (eCommerce) or preferably both.

Jon

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi David,

Without any kind of tracking it's pretty much impossible to attribute traffic to a source. Without being able to attribute to a source, you are unable to say where a sale originated.

Consider an extreme example - let's say you had 1,000 visitors to your siter and made 100 sales - great - that means that 10% of all visitors purchased.

True so far....

So if 200 of my visitors came from Adwords (and I know this because I can see that my Adwords campaigns had that many clicks) then 20 sales came from AdWords....

Nope - not true... could be all 100 sales came from Adwords, could be not one sale came from AdWords - or anywhere in between.

When tracking is so vital to successful AdWords management - and when Google Analytics is free - why are you not tracking converions?

You really should be - otherwise you could be wasting money - or - perhaps even worse - not exploiting to the full a source of revenue that could be making you a lot more money than it is.....

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

As you can see - I agree with Jon Smiley Wink

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi thaanks for reply,
what about vistor flow metric and keyword, could this help me narrow it down ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Cobnut,
No access to landing page for tracking code. Is it possible to make a reasonably accurate estimate using visitor flow keyword, and cross referencing organic percentage as they should covert at similar rates using the same landing page ?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi David, narrow what down?  Do you have eCommerce tracking set up in Analytics?

It might be useful if you could give us some more details of your situation, specifically why you're unable to install conversion tracking.  If we know your situation we can suggest options, otherwise we could be just guessing for a long time...

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Sorry you must think I'm an idiot. My apologies I know this is basic stuff for you guys but I appreciate the help.

I was asked to run a campaign I suppose as a comparison to their existing adwords manager. I suggested that we set up conversion tracking but they didn't want the manager to know that they had tried someone else ( I know this is a bit crazy as they would possibly see the ads anyway).

I appreciate what your saying and I agree completely thanks for your time

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hey don't worry David, there's no such thing as a silly question...

Hmm.  Your real problem is that if the existing manager knows his stuff (and I really hope it's not me Smiley Happy ) then there's practically no way you can avoid him finding out another AdWords campaign is sending traffic to the site.  Quite apart from the "obvious" AdWords reporting there are several other indicators of paid activity that he may pick up on.

Do you have access to the existing AdWords Account?  Is it "yours" as it were or is the current manager running his own Account to advertise your business?

If it's your Account and you already have a login with access, the best approach would be to ask another professional to look over the Account for you.  This could be done without the original manager ever knowing it had happened.  If he's not performing well you're more likely to get an understanding of this from another expert than you would from an experiement of your own that may tell you nothing, given the nature of AdWords.

Jon

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Here's a thought ... an existing AdWords manager who is running campaigns with no conversion tracking...

Surely, that alone should be enough.