AdWords
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

new user and historical data in analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I added a user in google analytics to be able to read & analyze the data. This user does not access historical data, all the counters are at 0. So I added a second user, exactly the same way, and this second user accesses all historical data automatically. How can this be? I would like this first user to be able to access historical data. As far as I know, the only difference is one is on MacOs, the other Windows. Any help is appreciated.

Rich

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rich R
September 2015

Re: new user and historical data in analytics

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Just to add - the user doesn't have a UA number - only the account has this - so if you are seeing a different UA number it's because she is viewing the other account.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Can you check to see if both users have been added to the same property and the same view?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes, I am the one who added them. To start with I have them Read & Analyze permission. I also tried to add Collaborate to see if that would help, but to no avail. I assume that when you write 'view' you mean their property permissions.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Yes - there are three places (or levels, if you like) where you can add users... at the account, property or view level.

Depending which level they are at they may well see different reports. That would be the first thing I would check.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
sorry - just to clarify . When I say "view" I don't mean their permissions.... I mean the data view they have access to.

If you go into the admin area and get the the point where you can see the tree columns for Account, Property & View - each has a link to users - check see if the two new users are in the same place...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the answer. I added both of these users at the property level and I really did the same thing for both. Maybe there is a difference. When I added the first user, for whom the history is not working, I added her personal email address (which was accepted by Analytics). Since this incident I deleted that user, and added her gmail address instead. Since it still didn't work, I also tried deleting that gmail address, and then adding it again, but no luck. Otherwise I used the same method to add the two users

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I just realized that when I connected to the first person's account (the one not functioning correctly), she had her own UA number. The second user doesn't seem to have one. Could this be a factor?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
If a user is already linked to another GA account that shouldn't matter, but they will have to choose which account they want to look at - just check which UA account they are looking at - chances are they are looking at the wrong one.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rich R
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Just to add - the user doesn't have a UA number - only the account has this - so if you are seeing a different UA number it's because she is viewing the other account.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
So I went back on her computer (through the web) and now it works. I'm not sure but I think she created a new account instead of just looking into the account that I had associated with her email. In any case, this is resolved. Thanks for your help.
Rich