AdWords
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

my conversions wont track

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a joomla website. my conversions won't track.

The code is in there. My developer hasn't even been able to solve it.

Does anyone know if there's a specific problem with joomla sites?

Thanks.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Geoff A
September 2015

Re: my conversions wont track

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Geoff,

CMS's can often be problematic because of the way they handle bespoke code; it's something that continues to annoy and amaze me when so many people use these sites for their ecommerce...  Having said that, for Joomla! the process is relatively straightforward and if Joomla! were totally unable to track conversions, we'd know about it.

The most likely problem is in the formatting of the code when rendered to the page so I'd double and triple-check how the code appears in the source of a page that should be showing a conversion.  Make sure the javascript tags are correctly opened and closed and that the code is allowed to run as JavaScript (i.e. not being treated as plain text, etc.).  

Are you using Google's Tag Assistant?  This can be very useful in checking tag problems.

You may also consider using Tag Manager instead of the "manual" method of adding code.  If you're just tracking events on the site (rather than seeking full ecommerce tracking) this could be a lot easier in the long run.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Geoff,

Joomla always have problem. Why you are not moving to wordpress? Ok, give it a thought.

I can guess the problem would be either additional <p> tags or additional formatting.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Geoff A
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Geoff,

CMS's can often be problematic because of the way they handle bespoke code; it's something that continues to annoy and amaze me when so many people use these sites for their ecommerce...  Having said that, for Joomla! the process is relatively straightforward and if Joomla! were totally unable to track conversions, we'd know about it.

The most likely problem is in the formatting of the code when rendered to the page so I'd double and triple-check how the code appears in the source of a page that should be showing a conversion.  Make sure the javascript tags are correctly opened and closed and that the code is allowed to run as JavaScript (i.e. not being treated as plain text, etc.).  

Are you using Google's Tag Assistant?  This can be very useful in checking tag problems.

You may also consider using Tag Manager instead of the "manual" method of adding code.  If you're just tracking events on the site (rather than seeking full ecommerce tracking) this could be a lot easier in the long run.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello Geoff A,

Google Tag Manager (GTM) is the answer to all such problems. It makes implementation of codes/scripts simple. As Jon_Gritton also recommended, you should use GTM to implement your conversion, analytics, remarketing etc. codes. 

The best part with GTM is that you only need one code on your website, and all other setups are done right inside GTM interface. 

Thanks
Ratan

Join me on Google+

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks I'll try GTM. What is that exactly? Is it an extension or something?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Geoff A,

Google Tag Manager is a robust tool from Google that makes it easy for marketers to add and update website tags -including analytics, remarketing, and more – with just a few clicks.

It's not an extension or tool that you can find inside AdWords, it's a separate tool which helps you integrate tags on your website. 

Find more information here at it http://www.google.com/tagmanager/

Hope it helps.

Thanks
Ratan

Join me on Google+

If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Ratan. That initially looks like a solution for me - but apparently I now have to place some more code in EVERY PAGE of my website? Is that right? That'll take forever! can't I just place it in the pages I need to track?
By the way, an update on my issue that this thread is about: I put the code onto my thank you pages, it tracks for a day, then the code corrupts again - seemingly all by itself!

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Geoff,

You have a Joomla website. In that case, you can put the GTM code in your index.php or header.php whichever file carries the opening Body tag in your template. Doing this will automatically populate the code on all pages. Now from GTM, you can create rules and target the exact page you want.

If you are pasting the code in any Module, Joomla by default will not allow scripts to function properly and the Tiny Mice editor will modify the script by itself.

The best approach would be to use the code directly into the template file as advised above.

Thanks
Ratan

Join me on Google+

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Many thanks Ratan. I've set up GTM and tag manager is showing it's on every page. I've set rules up for one thank you page and am now waiting for it to show in adwords as coversions. So far nothing - it's been just over 24 hours. Will wait a bit longer to see!