AdWords
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

my campaign was paused but google analytics still showing its live

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

i have a campaign which is paused in Adwords, still shows its live in google analytics

what could be the problem?  I paused it two weeks ago

Cheers

Imran

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: my campaign was paused but google analytics still showing its live

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Imran,

As far as my understanding goes, the problem might not be in Google Analytics. It is actually the way how Analytics works and how AdWords works. Cookie expiration time for AdWords is less as compared to Analytics (which could be varying from 6 months to years). Google Analytics might be updating the data lately because of this.

There could be other reasons as well. I would suggest you to read this reference for more insights:-

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034383?hl=en

Pankaj

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi imran,

There are a couple things that could be happening. Google Analytics uses last click attribution but will not overwrite source if the last click is direct. So if people came to your site via paid search and then returned via direct within 60 days, that session would be attributed to paid search. Also, it's possible that people have bookmarked the site after clicking an ad and captured the gclid in the bookmark, which is the parameter that tells Google Analytixs that it is a paid search click, so those clicks would also be attributed as paid search,

You should be getting very few clicks from paid search if your campaigns are off. If you are getting quite a few still, I would doublecheck to make sure all campaigns are paused.

I hope this helps!

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Imran,

I agree with both Pankaj & Amy on this although, I am more inclined towards Pankaj's view. I think it is because of the cookie life of GA that you are still recording a lot of data from AdWords.

You see, the cookie life of GA can be upto 2 years, while the life of an AdWords cookie is by default 30 days. Plus the fact that GA works on last click attribution model, the source attribution being reported in your account could also vary from your AdWords numbers.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"