AdWords
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

modified broad in exact (whoops!)

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

Just got a look at an AdWords-account where some keywords are put like this:

[+keyword1 keyword2]

And it works! (I am not sure how the system interprets this, but I´d guess: [keyword1 keyword2] )

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: modified broad in exact (whoops!)

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi David,

What are the search queries associated with this keyword?

Thanks
Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi David,

Seems like an odd way for it to be set up. Maybe the previous manager copied the modified broad match terms and just made them exact match.

I wonder does it work or is it the advanced keyword matching options that could be bringing in the additional terms you'd see in your SQ report? The Phrase and Exact matches can now include close variants if you don't turn it off in the campaign settings so maybe having the + just doesn't matter and it's treated like an exact would be like you suggested? 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi David,

I have read previously, I can't find it any longer...(another "no longer needed help article") that G will ignore certain symbols if they are out of place.  I would completely agree with you that the exact match option is what is being employed here.  It is odd that this would not throw errors while inputting. 

I actually just found this G+ post of mine where I quoted the older, no longer available content, I believe it was in context regarding the use of modified negative match:

Original page where this info came from (although it is no longer there): http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2497702&from=175280&rd=1

"The plus symbol (+) only works as a modifier in broad match keywords. If you create a negative keyword -+shoes, the + will be ignored and it will be treated by the AdWords system the same way as the negative keyword -shoes."

I understood this to mean that if you use the + sign in any other match type, beyond broad, it is ignored.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’