AdWords
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

many per click conversion reporting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Appreciate this thread and sorry if I'm not "getting it" but I reviewed last month's conversion stats as both one-per-click and many-per-click and it appears to simply DOUBLE all the numbers for no rhyme nor reason.

For instance, I had 42 total conversions via all on-line sources reported in Analytics as follows:

Google CPC = 20

Google Organic = 8

Direct = 6

Yahoo = 5

Bing = 3

On my Campaigns page, the report totals 42!  So is Google taking credit for people who find us via our Bing ad budget?  Seems a bit bogus to me!

I'm not too worried about value reporting at this level.  I simply thought that Google was going to give me an honest portrayal of "Return Customer Purchases" which would be awesome.

Thanks for your time!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sandra B
September 2015

Re: many per click conversion reporting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Yiannis,
Your explanation is clear. However, is it truly possible that ALL 42 of my on-line conversions last month had clicked on my Google CPC Ad before coming back to purchase via organic, direct or Bing? The statistical possibility doesn't seem logical.
On the other hand, if Google wants to simply take credit for my customers VIEWING, but not clicking, on my CPC Ad - that's ok, too - but let me have an honest accounting, if you please.
It is valuable to know that a customer finds my ad using a certain SEO term and then returns another time to make a purchase. This encourages me to keep funding the particular SEO term.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
When a customer that just viewed an ad and never clicked on one of your ads purchases, then you'll see one view through conversion and zero one per click and many per click conversions.
Some nice Analytics reports that may help you find out what goes on with the conversions are the Multi-Channel Funnels reports under the Conversions category. Of course, you must have adwords connected with analytics.
Start with the Top Conversion Paths report.

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hello Sandra,

AdWords takes credit for all conversions that happen after a click on an adwords ad.
On the other hand, analytics gives credit to the last source.
For example, somebody clicks one of your adwords ads but doesn't convert at this visit. After a few hours he/she performs a bing search, clicks an enters your site. If he/she convert, analytics will give the credit to bing but adwords will also report a conversion because it knows that this user has clicked on an ad at a past time.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sandra B
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Yiannis,
Your explanation is clear. However, is it truly possible that ALL 42 of my on-line conversions last month had clicked on my Google CPC Ad before coming back to purchase via organic, direct or Bing? The statistical possibility doesn't seem logical.
On the other hand, if Google wants to simply take credit for my customers VIEWING, but not clicking, on my CPC Ad - that's ok, too - but let me have an honest accounting, if you please.
It is valuable to know that a customer finds my ad using a certain SEO term and then returns another time to make a purchase. This encourages me to keep funding the particular SEO term.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
When a customer that just viewed an ad and never clicked on one of your ads purchases, then you'll see one view through conversion and zero one per click and many per click conversions.
Some nice Analytics reports that may help you find out what goes on with the conversions are the Multi-Channel Funnels reports under the Conversions category. Of course, you must have adwords connected with analytics.
Start with the Top Conversion Paths report.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes, I have Analytics working and view the multi-channel funnel reports frequently. I'm not seeing very many view through conversions in my campaign - so those would not explain how Google can take credit for all 42 of my conversions. However, if you're saying Google is taking credit for conversions from Bing/Yahoo via the multi-channel funnel, then I guess that explains it. However, it still is difficult for me to determine if people enter a term such as "how to improve vocabulary" - see my ad, then a day or so later go directly to my site organically or by-passing Search entirely. Direct search doesn't report keyword statistics in Analytics for my account. Thanks for your help.