AdWords
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

{keyword} variable and keyword-level destination URLs

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Guys

Recently I've been using utm_term={keyword} in my destination URL and i found that Analytics didn't track or attribute the proper data to the paid search keywords in my account. So i was just wondering if anyone here is also using keyword insertion in their analytics tracking URLs and how is it working for them in Analytics?

Re: {keyword} variable and keyword-level destination URLs

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,

What about the other parameters "campaign source, campaign medium and campaign name"?

The URL should include utm_source, utm_medium and utm_campaign parameters to track your campaigns properly (they are mandatory parameters) . The utm_term parameter is an optional parameter.

I recommend using the URL builder to add custom campaign parameters to your URLs properly;-
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033867?hl=en

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Boyang S wrote:

Hi Guys

utm_term={keyword} in my destination URL  

I agree with Ahmed Ali, you need the other params.

But I recommend you to do not use UTM params inside AdWords campaigns (manual tagging) as this will break auto-tagging and you will waste very important AdWords data inside your Analytics (considering that they are Linked).

only use utm inside adwords in very specific situations and keep in mind that it will make impossible to track some kind of AdWords data inside Analytcs like adgroup name, network, matched type, placements, etc..

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
thanks for the reply.

I should have mentioned that all the mandatory parameters are in place. it is only when I changed utm_term=keyword to utm_term={keyword} that keywords no longer receive proper data.

So im wondering if there's anything else special i need to enable to use utm_term={keyword}???
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Boyang S
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Boyang S wrote:

So im wondering if there's anything else special i need to enable to use utm_term={keyword}???

No, there is nothing else you need to enable - it should work 

Troubleshooting:

• Make sure that your keywords in account has no destination url (destination url at keyword level) , or if they have it be sure to have the parameter their as well
  • Make sure that the landing page has an Analytics code properly installed and it is the same UA you have access.
  • Make sure that the landing page has no redirection that is breaking the utm param  (for example a landing page www.mysite.com/?utm=my+keyword ===redir===>  www.mysite.com/index.php
  • Click on your ads to check the last 2 itens above and the page is still valid (no 404 for example)

The manual tagging you are using is not recommended for most users as it will break auto tagging and adwords data inside analytics will be permanently lost.