AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

{keyword} variable and keyword-level destination URLs

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

My campaign has keyword-level destination URLs (not adgroup/ad level!)

But I still want to pass the current keyword in with the click.  

Does &utm_term={keyword} do the trick at keyword level?  

Example:

http://www.domain.com/pagename.html?utm_source=Adwords&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=campaign123&utm_c...&utm_term={keyword}

I have not the luxury of testing this - so hoping someone can verify.

Re: {keyword} variable and keyword-level destination URLs

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Scott,

I am not getting you point exactly what you are asking for but if you asking for dynamic keyword insersion these solution is easier for you.

For dynamic keyword query you can use Keywords Insertion. Put these query in title of your ad copy like: Buy {keyword:Chocolate} and you can also use capitalization of your keyword just read these Keywords Insertion.

Regards

-Vicky

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi, scottclark!

I am not getting you too Smiley Happy

Utm_term is used to note the keywords for ad. Your can track people who clicked on your Ad and keyword, which triggered this Ad.

But you need to set up Utm_term manually. If you set utm_term={keyword} most likely you'll see keyword "%7Bkeyword%7D" in your reports. And you can set up only one utm_term for one Ad. I guess, that's not really comfortable Smiley Happy

I advise you to use Auto-tagging

Good luck!

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

HI

UTM paramters are always manually tagged if you want your your keyword to be captured dynamically then you can do following

1. user valuetrack parameters http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2375447

2. If you want landing page to have relevant content to the keyword you can pull they keyword using javascript from the url (I have described how to do this in this post)

3. Then make ajax calls to servers and load content relevant to keywords which user searched for

Hope this helps

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi scottclark,

Yes, you can use "&utm_term={keyword}" in the landing pages. There is no harm with manual tagging. Any ways if you want to track the keywords you can also use the "Auto Tagging" this will automatically tag each and every parameter.  

FYI... I have used this tagging parameter for one of my account.

-Raghu

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

It seems like the term={keyword} variable from the URL tool isn't reporting properly (lately, for me anyway). keyword={keyword} seems to pull the data through just fine, and as long as the URL is valid, and under (what is it 1035 characters?), you should be fine.

KW level URL's of course are the source of countless issues, but if you have a plan and structure that works for you, you shouldn't have any problems with manually tagging a KW destination URL, that you wouldn't have with manually tagging an ad's URL. Smiley Happy

Tom

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks... it doesn't work for me.

This is pasted directly from the Adwords account:

...and in Google Analytics "destination URL" view under Advertising > Adwords > Destination URL this is shown exactly the same  The keyword is not replaced.

I am structuring the account so that the reports are the same on multiple channels.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 8
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi

If you want to pull data from mannual tagging then you have to write utm_term=actualKW. THis has to be done mannually. This cant be populated dynamically based on what user has searched.

you can do that with value track like

http://www.example.com/?matchtype={matchtype}&keyword={keyword}

But this will not get you report of KW in analytics for that the best way is autotagging. Can you please elaborated what is your end objective? We might be able to help you out in better way

Hope this helps

Regards, Nik

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Scott,

Are you using the tagged URLs for lead tracking? If not, then auto tagging is a much better way of getting all the necessary data and reports.

The reason Analytics is showing you the utm_term={keyword} instead of the actual keyword is because the URL is not getting parsed by Google Analytics itself. Can you check if the traffic sources report is showing you any data for Adwords as a source and medium as cpc. Traditionally, we tag utm_source=google, maybe you could try that.

Regards,

Nikhil 

Top Contributor Alumni
# 10
Top Contributor Alumni

nikhilmotwani wrote:

Hi Scott,

Are you using the tagged URLs for lead tracking? If not, then auto tagging is a much better way of getting all the necessary data and reports.

The reason Analytics is showing you the utm_term={keyword} instead of the actual keyword is because the URL is not getting parsed by Google Analytics itself. Can you check if the traffic sources report is showing you any data for Adwords as a source and medium as cpc. Traditionally, we tag utm_source=google, maybe you could try that.

Regards,

Nikhil 

Hi Nikhil

utm_term={keyword} instead of the actual keyword is because the URL is not getting parsed by Google Analytics itself.<< I have to disagree here with you. The url is getting parsed by google analytics but if the url itself says utm_term={keyword}, Then GA will parse it at actual and not dynamically look for keyword

Regards, Nik