AdWords
5.7K members online now
5.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

keyword position 1t7: impossible?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys,

I just run a keyword report, and noticed that I have a keyword had position 1t7? I thought there should be maximum three in the top position, how come I have top 7? Can anyone help me with it, thank you so much!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: keyword position 1t7: impossible?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Sandeep,

Do you mean 1.7? If yes, keyword position 1.7 means your ad usually appears at 1 or at 2. It does not mean 1 to 7.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/14075?hl=en

Thanks
Ratan Jha

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Ratan Jha,

Thanks for reply! I use ValueTrack to track the performance of my ads. According to Google,
“1t2” = page 1, top, position 2
However, I got "1t7", which means page1, top, position 7----I thought top position had maximum three-- why did my ad placed at 7?
Thanks!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sarah O
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Okay, that was not clear to me at the first instance. 

Anyway, there's one very important thing to note about Ad Position. 

Google says - The critical point is that the reported average position metric is based on auction position, not page position.

Now, let's take an example - 

Suppose your ad appears at 3rd position, just above the organic search results. And one of the competitors ad appear 2nd in the right side ad block. So your Ad Position would 1t3, and the competitor's would 1s2. Right?

Now consider a situation when Google shows no add above the organic search results, ads are shown only in the right side. What will happen here? Ads that appear even in right side block might be called Top Ads. Why? Because, system counts and depends on Auction Ad Position, not actual position in the SERP. 

Your ad might have triggered at 7th in the right side block. 

My two cents. 

I would request you to read this blog here for better understanding -

http://adwords.blogspot.ro/2011/04/understanding-average-position-metric.html

Thanks
Ratan Jha

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Ratan Jha, I got better understanding now. And a question just popped up in my mind, in google analytics----segment ad slot position-----how is 1s2 defined? Is is defined as position 5 or position 2? Thank you very much!