AdWords
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

is 'average position' accurate?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I haven't had many enquires this week so I checked my Adwords account, my average position is always between 2 and 3 and the average position for one of main keywrods today is 2.1. However, when I open up a Google brower and enter the search term my ad is always showing way down around 7 or 8. Why is this? I realise the figure is an average but I know my industry quite well and I know for a fact I am bidding higher than all but one or two competitors for the mention keyword, so why would Google serve my ad down that low, and for it not to be reflected in stats?

Thanks in advance for any help.

3 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

Re: is 'average position' accurate?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi robrobrob276, as you understand, the figure is an average and like all averages it could be made up from a very narrow or a very wide range of figures.  For example, two pairs of figures, 1 & 9 and 4 & 6, both have an average of 5, but they're clearly very different in nature.

With Ads, the actual position shown can vary by a great many factors; location, time, competition, keyword relevance and the actual search history of the user.  In your specific case, if you frequently search for your own Ads "live" on Google, it's quite possible that the position of the Ad is being adjusted specifically for you and that everyone else sees the Ad(s) much higher.

The best way to test for your Ads is always to use the Ad Preview tool as this gives an "unbiased" view of how - and where - your Ad is likely to appear in typical searches.  

You may be able to find some more trends by looking at data based upon the Hour of Day, or day of the week, and check by regions across your targeted area as well.  You may find that Ads are showing much lower in some regions, or some times of day, than others (and of course, combinations of this).

I've never had any reason to doubt the accuracy of the figure shown in AdWords, but it is a very broad average and with so many possible factors affecting it, unless your Account structure has tied down the possibilities through tight focus, there's still lots of scope for how the position changes with each auction.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Correct;
Avg position could be a confusing metric. What would be the Avg position of 1 and 7? 4 - You might thick that you were on right top corner - but the reality is that once you at rock-bottom, and once at the top.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Jon

I will keep an eye on the Ad preview in future. It seems to show my ads in
a different position than they show in a browser. I'm not sure why that
would be.

freshpack photo

Community Manager
# 5
Community Manager
Hi Jon,
Thanks for contributing to the Community.

Please consider the Community Guidelines when creating your signature. We do not allow self promotion of products or services. Please also note that our content is indexed in search results and you may not want this personal information included in the content.

Kathleen

Kathleen