AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

impressions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Our best keyword term is "flatware made in USA"  we are the only flatware manufactuer in the U.S. and have sucessfully found our place in the top one or two spots on google when this keyword is typed in.  Here is my quesion.  How is it possible that only 7-8% of folks who type in this keyword and get an impression of our ad actually click on it.  One would think the percentage would be much higer.  Is this a statistical glitch where the "impressions" being reported per keyword search may include impressions not related to that specific keyword?  If anyone who has the answer to this............... a response would be greatly appreciated.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Rising Star)
September 2015

Re: impressions

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi gregowens0714,

That depends on the match type for your keyword. As broad match, you could be getting a high number of impressions from unrelated queries.

For your broad and phrase match keywords, run a searchterms report and see what kinds of queries you get imporessions for. If you see stuff that is unrelated, add negative keywords to block those queries.

If you are using broad match, I suggest changing to BMM (broad match modified).  Your keyword would be come +flatware +made +in +USA. That can help reduced the number of unrelated impressions.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Rising Star)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi gregowens0714,

That depends on the match type for your keyword. As broad match, you could be getting a high number of impressions from unrelated queries.

For your broad and phrase match keywords, run a searchterms report and see what kinds of queries you get imporessions for. If you see stuff that is unrelated, add negative keywords to block those queries.

If you are using broad match, I suggest changing to BMM (broad match modified).  Your keyword would be come +flatware +made +in +USA. That can help reduced the number of unrelated impressions.

Best of Luck!

Pete

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

HI

I would also suggest your should go through Search Querry Report at keyword level. 

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2472708

Also make sure you add keyword column to this report then check out if you are getting search queries which are irrelevant to your bussiness. Then you can mark them as negative.

This will make sure that you are reaching out to right TG. This will also lower your impression numbers but ideally should increase your CTR

Hope this helps

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Do you mind my also asking about the use of underscores in keywords? This is the first time I've seen one used, and I am wondering if there is an advantage to using them instead of setting words apart as a phrase with quotation marks.

in_USA   vs.   "in USA"

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

I believe that underscore was a typo. Smiley Happy  It should have been a + sign.

To respond to your original issue, let me point out that 7%-8% ctr on a keyword, especially a broad match one, isn't that bad. What I think many advertisers forget is that only a few of the people searching on any specific phrase in a day have any immediate intent to spend money. People can be researching future purchases, gift ideas, or even closely related topics (like the "history of flatware made n USA" or others.

That's why it's important to avoid broad match. Make use of Exact and Phrase match, or even modified broad, if yours is a low traffic volume market, and keep your negative keyword list robust.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Frippy,

Yes, that was a typo! The underscore is right nex to the plus sign! I should have proof-read my copy before posting.

Sorry about that.

Pete

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks. It seemed completely believable to me that symbols or punctuation could be used as stand-ins for spaces. I thought maybe I'd stumbled upon a new trick. Smiley Happy