AdWords
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

important discrepancies between Adwords and Analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear Adwords community,

Since a couple of days, there are some very different discrepancies between the conversions providing from my accounts in Adwords and Analytics.

Usually, there are around 10-15 differencies but since last week, I got results like 74 conversions according Google Adwords and just 18 conversions according Google Analytics (in the same day). I already checked the tracking codes to see any changes but everything looks fine. I can't figure out where the problem come from.

Any help would be really appreciated,

thanks a lot !

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: important discrepancies between Adwords and Analytics

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi jeffstalder,

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy

Are you sure that you have installed the Conversion Tracking script only on the required thanks pages and not everywhere on the website? (That's the first difference between both scripts because Google Analytics code will be installed on all the pages which you want to track and Conversion tracking only on goal completion pages.)

There's a very informative and descriptive article which explains the core differences between Adwords and Analytics in tracking your goals or transactions. I would like you to read this article for more insights.

Let us know if that helps!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi jeffstalder,

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy

Are you sure that you have installed the Conversion Tracking script only on the required thanks pages and not everywhere on the website? (That's the first difference between both scripts because Google Analytics code will be installed on all the pages which you want to track and Conversion tracking only on goal completion pages.)

There's a very informative and descriptive article which explains the core differences between Adwords and Analytics in tracking your goals or transactions. I would like you to read this article for more insights.

Let us know if that helps!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Pankaj, thanks for the advice. Actually we are testing some new landing pages and my colleague found this snippet on the homepage of our website:

<script>
var _gaq = _gaq || [];
_gaq.push(['_setCustomVar',2,'A/B Testing','home',2]);
_gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);

</script>

it's maybe the cause of these dicrepancies; the new pages were not tracked on Analytics...

I read your article and it doesn't answer my questions. Our CPC campaign is running since long time and we never had this kind of problem before. We removed the snippet and we'll see tomorrow if any changes is noticed !