AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

how to redirect for tracking purposes?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

I would like to send traffic adwords traffic to a site i dont control, and pass him the gclid for tracking purposes, problem is the gclid is added in the format of "&gclid=.......". while the BI system of the site recives a different parameter (e.g sid=...") - so it doesnt read the gclid if i will send it in the usual way.

i tried to use a software redircet which parses the URL and rebuilds the url with the gclid under the right paramater, but because i send it to a gateway url the ads are getting dissaproved by google.

Does anyone knows a solution for this kind of scenario - or how can i redirect without getting my ads disqualified?

Thanks,

Alex

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: how to redirect for tracking purposes?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Let me ping one of our experts on glcid;

@petebardo 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Alex S,

I'm not sure I understand all of the question, particularly the part about the BI system. In order to get your ads approved, the domain of the display URL must match the final destination after all redirects. Update the display URL accordingly and your ads should be approved.

Best of Luck,,

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Pete,

I understand i was being unclear, please let me rephrase my question:

With adwords auto tagging on google appends the variable gclid=<gclidid> to the end of your destination url automatically. for example:

www.example.com?gclid=gclidvalue

In my scenario i need the gclid to be appeneded with a different parameter name for tracking purposes for example sid=<gclid>.
it needs it to be: www.example.com?sid=gclidvalue

but i cannot control in the ui the name of the parameter that is being added to the url, so i tried to redirect the traffic to a gateway url that using javascript will strip the gclid from the url and will reconstruct and forwatrd the traffic to www.example.com?sid=gclidvalue

but my ads are being disapproved because the gateway url which contains the js is on some other domain and not under www.example.com

is there a solution in which i can send the gclid under another parameter name?

Thanks,
alex.