AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

how many clicks before pausing a keyword

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey guys,

I just wanted to know.. as I am a bit confused by all of this.

How many clicks will you give a keyword before you pause it because it has not delivered a conversion? I am just talking about giving a keyword a fair shake by giving it enough clicks to make a sale/sign up. Is it 100? 150? 200 clicks?

I'm not sure you use cpa as a metric, unless the keyword is cheap to bid on then thats fine. But if the keyword is relatively expensive, ie $2.00 +, how many clicks will you give it, before you pause that KW because it never made a conversion for you?

If its expensive to bid on, but you find out it does convert, then you can always optimize your bids, improve ctr of the corresponding ad of that keyword and improve the CR of your lander to produce better ROI of the keyword, provided it converts.

What are your thoughts on this people? I would like to hear what you have to say.

Thanks!

Sean

5 Expert replyverified_user

Re: how many clicks before pausing a keyword

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

This is a great question Sean.
Like with most things, there's no one size fits all answer here.

However, the approach we take and the approach we insist our clients take is that we pause it/delete it when it's not generating a positive ROI (after we've exhausted all landing page optimization scenarios).

The important thing here however is that a keyword may not generate ANY direct revenue or return but i may have a MASSIVE impact as an assisted converter. You have to look at the keyword as a SINGLE PART OF A LONGER CUSTOMER JOURNEY. Have a look at his article on analyzing channel contributions:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1191204?hl=en

You may also want to dive deeper into how an AdWords keyword is attributed to a sale but using the attribution modelling tool here:
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1662518?hl=en

So, to answer your question, the number you pause/delete at is when the keyword no longer or evidently NEVER produced any value in the acquisition of your customer.

Hope that helps.

*** I see you're in Leixlip, just down the road Smiley Happy ***

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

I'm goiing to second Dave_Davis on this one. 

More than once, I've had a client request that I shut down "all of those extra keywords" in their campaign, and every, single time, the campaign's conversion levels dropped like a bag of rocks.

The conversion funnel is much more complex than it might appear at first. You need to really understand the path your potential customers are taking, from first, vague search through to the purchase point, before you start eliminating keywords in bulk.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Agree with above comments, I recently had this experience with one of the clients i was handling. They wanted to eliminate keywords that don't have a positive ROI and keep the ones that shows a positive ROI . However we noticed massive impact on the conversion rate after deleting those.

Then only analyzing the assist clicks and search funnel reports we understood the impact of deleted keywords.

So I think yes there are some points you need to remove the keywords that seems to be inactive but you have to be sure whether they actually not making any assist to make a sale.

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Agree with above comments, I recently had this experience with one of the clients i was handling. They wanted to eliminate keywords that don't have a positive ROI and keep the ones that shows a positive ROI . However we noticed massive impact on the conversion rate after deleting those.

Then only analyzing the assist clicks and search funnel reports we understood the impact of deleted keywords.

So I think yes there are some points you need to remove the keywords that seems to be inactive but you have to be sure whether they actually not making any assist to make a sale.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your input. Nice to see you are only down the road from me Dave! Smiley Happy

I have to be honest with you all, I'm not sure what you are talking about with regards to a keyword being an assisted converter.

What I do is I test the keyword for about hundred clicks to the lander and simultaneously test the lander for increased CR. If after 100 clicks or so, (depending on the cost of this keyword) there is no conversion, I pause the keyword and label it as a keyword that didnt convert after 100 clicks.

Do I have this right?

Thanks guys, 

Sean

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star
Hi Sean

Ok let me simply it as i can. Lets say you have 5 keywords and 2 keywords out of that 5 keywords give you conversions but other 3 dont make any conversions but they still hold a good click through rate and impression rate.

In assist keywords what we talk is to make that two sales out of that two keywords there can be moments that other three also helped.

Eg

5 keywords

1 keyword 1
2. keyword 2
3. keyword 3
4. Keyword 4
5. Keyword 5

Out of this 5 you can see that keyword 1 and keyword 5 have conversions . but there are high posibility that to make that conversions ( To assist them) keywords 2 ,3 and 4 also have a contribution

Also this might give you a better idea Smiley Happy http://www.google.lk/ads/innovations/searchfunnels.html

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Nisal,

I appreciate your feedback.

I kinda get a better understanding of this now. But I think that to run the 3 keywords that assisted the sale, would be less of an roi on that actual sale. I still think, so far.. that running keywords that make conversions with 100 clicks or less is the way forward.

I'll need to look into this more clearly.

Sean

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor Alumni
# 9
Top Contributor Alumni

A conversion assist happens when it takes more than one visit to your website for a person to convert. One or more "assisting clicks" might be counted--from organic search results, from direct traffic, or from clicking on another ad.

If you're in an industry where customers do any level of research before they purchase, then understanding what phrases they search on when researching is as important as watching which keywords get the eventual conversion.

Keywords A, B, and C might have registered a hundred visits each during the course of a month, but no conversions. On the other hand, Keyword D produced twenty conversions. You might decide to eliminate Keywords A, B, and C from your campaign--with the net result that Keyword D's conversion stream virtually disappears and it starts generating 2-3 conversions a month.

This is because Keywords A, B, and C were helper keywords. Customers searching "higher in the funnel" (that is, earlier in the sales cycle) were using those phrases to do some information and comparison shopping. Since you've eliminated those keywords, the customers no longer see your ads/offerings and your product is no longer part of their decision cycle.

When it comes time to buy, the customers search again, using Keyword D. Now your ad shows up--but it's too late. They've already decided which option to pick and very few of them are going to be willing to start the research cycle all over again, with a new option added into the mix. Most of them go ahead and buy from someone else.

That's an oversimplification of how "conversion assists" come into play, but I hope it helps.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi Sean, just to complicate things now that Theresa has hopefully made things a bit clearer, you do have to consider the path to purchase.  Consider two different product sites; one sells DVDs so someone searches for "oblivion blu-ray", sees your Ad, a click on which takes them to a great landing page offering (sonehow) a better price than Amazon.  In that case, they're fairly likely to buy almost immediately - or at least within a day or so.  Now consider a site that sellls $5000 3D printing machines.  You have the same great Ads, and your prices are still competitive, but the nature of the product leads to a longer purchase path.  People are more likely to spend longer thinking about such a purchase and (for business) may need to go through internal procedures to get approval.

What this means in terms of pausing Keywords is that if you have a "high volume/low value" product (DVDs) you can make decisions about Keyword performace much more quickly than you can with a "low volume/high value" product, because although a Keyword may rack up a fair cost over time, a single conversion 3 weeks into the Campaign can return a positive ROI.

Here's a real-world example from one of my own managed Accounts.  I had an Ad Group for this client that was spending over $1000 a month and had been running for 2 months without a single conversion (through AdWords).  My "pause finger" had been hovering over this Campaign since the second week but I knew the product was high value so I tied my hands behind my back and sat it out.  After 10 weeks, on a Friday, I'd decided to pause the Campaign on the Monday.

Guess what, when I logged in Monday morning I found a single conversion against that Campaign - the value of which was over $10,000, returning a very healthy ROAS.

So, in short, yes, you must pause Keywords that don't perform, but you must also have a good measure of how likely it is they may perform in future, potentially returning a positive ROI over a longer period.  As has already been mentioned, you also have to consider whether these Keywords are bringing in traffic that convert later through other paid Ads or other channels.

It's a big question, and I'll stop now before your head explodes.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits