AdWords
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

how do i know the conversion code is working?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have had zero conversions and spent over $3000.  Now I'm concerned that the conversion code may not be working.  Is there a way to test the conversion without actually spending money on my product myself?  I don't want to have to find my ad on Google, click on it, buy something, etc. to see if it works.  Any help out there?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: how do i know the conversion code is working?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello Katrina

Try setting  up a similar Goal in Google Analytics. Then if you are getting Goal completions for AdWords but no Conversion then there must be something wrong with the code.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi KATRINA, and welcome to the Community.

Jeremy's suggestion is a good one, however depending upon your site structure you may not be able to accurately replicate a sale with a URL Goal so sometimes the only way to test a Conversion properly is to go through the process, Search, click Ad, buy product.  Presumably you have control over the site?  If it were me I'd "fudge" the code just for a testing purpose.

For example, let's say you sell only one product and it costs $1000.  You don't want to have $1000 taken out of your card and all the hassle of refunding it - which is understandable.  What I'd do is alter the script of the page so that if the page detects it's me doing a test, the charge becomes only $0.10, not $1000.  Doing this would be relatively simple for a programmer but would allow you to do any number of tests and still only charge yourself a few bucks.

Having said that, if it were me I'd like to think that I'd be able to tell if the code was installed correctly just by looking at it.  Who makes the changes to your website?  Is it bespoke code or a CMS like WordPress?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Jon, my husband does the changes to the website so I'm going to forward your response and see if that helps him. Not sure what code he uses but he is well versed in making changes. Thanks for your help!