AdWords
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

how can i mark my adverts with some kind of ID tracking?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

i would like to add some sort of tracking to my adwords (at any/all levels) that then shows when a visitor to my site fills in a form on the site. We already have goal completions set up - I am after something that identifies the visitor's choice of keyword or PPC ad clicked on so I can see this in the actual conversion. Any help appreciated, thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Extensive discussion about this:

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/AdWords-Tracking-and-Reporting/Tracking-conversions-on-a-p...

Also you can simply look at your search term page (On the "Keywords" tab/page), add the column "Attributes > Keyword" then sort on the "Conversions" column to see the search terms and the keywords they matched up with which resulted in conversions.

hth

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Steve T,

You can do this with ValueTrack variables. You would need to modify your tracking templates. You can get the ad id with ValueTrack, but you can't get a title or any of the copy of the ad. For that reason, you may want to use a custom variable and assign a short, descriptive name to the ad. You can use {keyword} in your template to return the keyword that was triggered by the visitor's query.

You only get one chance to capture this data, when the visitor first hits your landing page. You can use either a client-side or a server-side script to read those values from the URL and set those values with a cookie. Then, when the form is submitted, you can use a client-side script to add those values to your form or a server-side script to read the cookie values.

This can be useful when the defined conversion is a lead and the follow up is not through the website (email, phone, in-store, etc). It helps me evaluate multiple purchases by one person as often we don't make a profit until the second or third sale.

If you don't need to identify each individual's click source, link your AdWords and Analytics account, import the goals, and use the AdWords UI to review performance. It's a whole lot easier.

Best of Luck,

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords