AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

hover to play statistics vs. youtube analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello all,

I've come accross an interesting issue with the "hover to play" format:

We had a short-term campaign using this format: it was the only channel of promoting this youtube video, so naturally, we didn't receive lots of extra views from other traffic sources. However, after the campaign ended, I decided to compare AdWords statistics (number of engagements) and Youtube statistics of that video. It appeared that youtube has 27000 views while in AdWords I see 52000 engagements (or clicks). 

I know this question should stand somewhere between AdWords and Youtube communities, but has anyone had this question? Is this discrepancy due to the fact that a "click" (engagement) in AdWords system is counted right after the video starts playing, while Youtube counts a "view" after somebody watches the video for 5 seconds? I have this doubt because the Youtube analytics shows a nice engagement: almost 76% of viewers saw the video til the last second.. 

Thanks in advance if somebody shares some thoughts. Smiley Happy

Milda

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: hover to play statistics vs. youtube analytics

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Omnicom,

Thanks for your posting. You pose an interesting question which I don't have an answer. This sounds like something we should ask of both the Adwords for Video community and Youtube. Did you also post this in the YouTube community? What I found intriguing from your post was the comment on 76% of viewers saw the video til the last second...

Also would you mind posting the link to the video. I'd like to see what was so compelling to make visitors click and watch the video until the end. If anyone in both communities has a take on this issue, I'd love to hear it.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by John Paul (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni
Hi John Paul D,
Sorry for the hassle - I accidentally used another e-mail for posting the question, so I suddenly appeared as Omnicom Smiley Happy
As for your question regarding the video itself, of course I can share it, it's a simple commercial McDonald's video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM-puCDhKmg. Just for the sake of interestSmiley Happy

Anyway, I contacted the support regarding this issue and I already have the answer to my own question (but maybe it'll be interesting to somebody else, too): the thing about Hover to Play ads and Youtube analytics discrepancies goes like this: AdWords counts a "click" (or engagement) 2 seconds after the video starts playing, while Youtube counts only unique viewers, that's the reason why the number of views differs so much between AdWords and Youtube reports.

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee
Milda,

Thanks for replying with the answer from support. Also I understand now why you were getting 76% viewers watching the video til the end. From viewing it myself, it's definitely a well produced video!