AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

google analytics conversions not showing in adwords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm having an issue with a campaign that I can't seem to resolve. 

I have set up the conversions for this campaign as Goals in Analytics that I have imported into Adwords. I've had 4 conversions so far come through that are posting in  Analytics but not posting in Adwords. I can't figure out why they aren't coming through to adwords. Several days have passed since the first conversion came in. My accounts are linked and automatic tagging is on.

I've chatted with support and they have said that the string I have on the back of my URL is interfering with the data. (manual and automatic tagging are not playing nice with each other). I don't believe this to be the case as I have this string included in all my campaigns previously with no problems...and this string was created by google in adwords for us, about 2 years ago...never had a problem with it.

Any ideas?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: google analytics conversions not showing in adwords

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey Jana, how are things?

I'm a little worried when you say this: "(manual and automatic tagging are not playing nice with each other)"

If by manual tagging you mean the UTMs parameters from Google Analytics, the support is right. You shouldn't use UTMs manual tagging when you have auto-tagging on. That's what auto-tagging is intended for and it does for you, automatically.

When you use both, Google Analytics may receive compromised data, duplicated data depending on the metric and so many other things that can cause erros for you.

If that IS the case, then the first step is to remove every manual tagging from your account. Just to make sure, I'm talking about UTMs like &utm_source=. Any other parameters of your own it's ok to have on the URL.

If that is not the case, some other things can apply:

Google Analytics defines the conversion source for the LAST source the user used to convert, known as the Last Click interaction, and Adwords counts conversions for the FIRST source (in that case, the first campaign) that was clicked. This can create some differences between Adwords and GA conversions.

Other important thing is so analyse the previous 30 day window. Adwords will record the conversion for the first campaign that was clicked (assuming the user interacted with several campaigns). If you're just looking for the past few days, maybe you're missing the data from way back there.

You should make some tests. Grab a computer, open the browser for cookies and datas to make sure that there's no record of any clicks on your campaigns, and then make the conversion on your on by looking and clicking for your ad, and converting on your website.

Remember that Google Analytics takes TWO days to pass conversions to Adwords, so every time you have linked accounts, the past few days on Adwords will always have ZERO Conversions.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Leandro Martinez

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Leandro,
Thanks for the input. The tag I have on the URLs has the following parameters(which I don't believe should interfere with the automatic tagging):

?matchtype={matchtype}&network={network}&device={device}&devicemodel={devicemodel}&creative={creative}&keyword={keyword}&placement={placement}

I will look into the other options you have presented. Maybe it's just a time issue.

Thanks,
Jana

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hey Jana,

Those parameters are ValueTrack parameters. In this case you're fine. They will not interfere with the auto-tagging Smiley Happy

Hope you can see the conversions soon.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
RThis may be a silly question... but are you sure that the conversions you have seen are from AdWords traffic? GA will report all conversions - from all sources, but only those from AdWords visitors will be pushed back into the AdWords reporting... and these will take 48 hours to appear.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Steve,
It's a valid question. I believe these are adword conversions and not attributed to other sources because the landing page url is specific to this campaign and would not be accessed otherwise. The leads we have received matches the lead conversion information posted in Goals.

Jana

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
You can check easily enough in GA just by looking at the source report and seeing the conversions... but it sounds like this is not the issue.

Another simple thing to check.. is the GA tracking code on the landing page - again the reason I ask is that if the code is not on the LP but is on the conversion page the tracking will be lost and these conversions will be reported as an internal referral - or possibly "direct" the bucket term GA uses when it can't attribute a source...

If you can identify these specific conversions - what is the source that GA is reporting?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

I have checked to make sure code wasn't on the landing pages - no code.

The conversion sources from GA is Google/CPC

I'm still not receiving conversions...I've had several more come through in
Analytics but not Adwords.

Jana

*Jana Bienz*
*Digital Services Manager*

*1.403.910.1513*
*Jana.Bienz@ActiveDEMAND.com
www.ActiveDEMAND.com

Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star
Hey Jana,

Now that you know they're really coming from Adwords, you could apply the "Secondary Dimension" column inside Google Analytics and try to find some additional information.

you can go on your GA to: Aquisition > All traffic > Source/Origin and then click on Google / CPC.

Then, you can apply the Secondary Dimension (the button for this is usually right below to chart) and try to find:

- Which DATE the conversion occurred
- For each KEYWORD/CAMPAIGN/ADGROUP

Also, make sure that you've really imported and activated the conversions from GA, to Adwords:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375435?hl=en

Hope this helps.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Yep - @leandrofm has covered the next steps - check that the conversion has been imported - it will not simply appear in AdWords, you need to tell AdWords to look for it - and check the dates - there is a 48 hour lag....