AdWords
1.3K members online now
1.3K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

google adwords fake clicks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

yet none result in a phone call? I have to get a phone call to get a sale, yet day after day, no calls come, yet the clicks keep on coming. This has not been my history with adwords. Something is definately wrong.I would like to initate a fraud investigation.

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: google adwords fake clicks

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Susan S,

Welcome,

Google has sophisticated systems to identify invalid clicks and impressions and remove them from your account data & you will not be charged for those clicks.However, if you're concerned about activity that seems suspicious then you can investigate your account.

Please follow the link with more information
http://www.google.com/ads/adtrafficquality/advertisers/click-investigation-request.html

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Shuva, I beg to differ, my adwords express adds for my electrical contracting business in northern California has cost me $2000 in 50 days and i have yet to get a paying job. Lots of sales men and a couple people pretending to need work have called me. No real serious callers needing us to perform service or bid work. I have been in business for over 10 years and have never had such poor performing adds. I agree with Susan and would say the FTC need to investigate. I pay for clicks from all over the world but my adds are suppose to reach 40 miles by the settings in the add set up. Countries like Guam, Packistan, Nigeria, and on and on. . ? Places where my add has very little use and need. seems convenient that the add word customer service rep says that's the way its set up. But yet i set a 40 mile target audience, seems convenient. I will be removing my adds and if i run them it will be very little , seems like they only cost money. I have paid $2k for 400 clicks on my web site with a $0 return. As a electrical engineer, we go by the numbers and numbers don't lie. Talk is cheap!
Google ad words is hype!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Susan I am with you! File a complaint to FTC ? Read my response to Shuva below.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes I also am concerned that my clicks don't actually mean anything, as I am in a position where fraudelent clicking means serious reprimands. I run a rinky dink youtube LP account, and have gone through $300.00 playing smarter and not harder, I have amassed 3k clicks to my channel page through adwords in two months. In said page an opening video runs each day getting 50-60 views, no likes, no dislikes, no comments, no shares, posts, flaggs, adds, dicussions, or posts to google +. This is the internet. All we are is opinions. I post it somewhere else it gets 4 views and 2 comments. What is going on?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes...fraud has and does occur. We have recently been receiving a very large number of clicks for an AdGroup that suddenly and dramatically increased from 40-50 per month to more than 7,500 per month! Most of these appear to be invalid/fradulent clicks. No changes were made to our Campaign or AdGroup. Based upon conversions from our website for product information, the e-mail address and phone numbers are mostly invalid. The ad placements have been ridiculous as well. Ads placed on non-relevant websites. (We offer an software tool for IT Professionals and the Google AdWords ads have been shown on off-topic websites such as "JuicyCelebs.com or MinecraftSkins.com.) Has anyone else experienced sudden, huge increases in clicks for an AdGroup that appear to be fraudulent? Also it looks like whoever is doing this is using an IP address randomizer too.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Susan, i am also a victim of this. To many people are also going through the same situation..

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

About 4 years ago I started a Youtube page and I wanted to generate traffic and get my videos out there. I joined Adwords and the results were great . A large majority of my subscribers came from that campaign. Now, in 2014 I decided to run another campaign. The clicks were there, but no subscribers, no comments, just supposed clicks. The same as others above, from people outside the US only. No one wants to pay for fake clicks that just make the video seem like it has been viewed when no results are shown. Adwords has turned into a click farm for money, and I can boldly say it is indeed nothing more than a scam now.

Joel

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
As @Shuva Nandy explains there are sophisticated mechanisms in place to detect click fraud and Google does take it very seriously. Many of the issues outlined above are probably more due to poor campaign configuration than anything else - let's look at some of them:

@Micheal P - what are your advanced location settings? You need to make these "people in my targeted location" if you want to make sure that people beyond the boundaries are not included. This applies to @Joel S too...

@bruce S - have you excluded these placements that are not of any use to you - and what are your targeting settings?

It's not fair to blame "the Man" if we are not configuring our accounts correctly. AdWords is not a simple platform - this is one of the biggest misunderstandings there is - but instead is a complex ad serving system which will bleed budget dry if not used correctly... but that's not Google's fault.

If you want, you can design a full page print ad and run it in every magazine you can find from Cosmopolitan to AutoTrader to Time to Playboy and you will probably waste your money - but we don't do that. That would be bad business, instead we carefully select the magazines most likely to reach our target audience. So why do we approach AdWords any differently?

For the first time in advertising history we have ways of actually tracking the effectiveness of our campaigns and acting upon that data in almost real time. Ad yet we don't take advantage of it.

With the greatest of respect, if you have been running ads for a couple of months and have not filtered out this wasteful traffic already (after the first few days) then it's not fair to blame Google.

As a Google Partner, if I were to allow ads from all over the world to appear for any of my clients for more than a few days I should lose the management contract. Period.

There are settings that can slip by sometimes - some of the default setting, in my opinion, should be changed - but these are flagged by the traffic itself very quickly if you are monitoring the data and can be fixed immediately.

Finally, a thought to leave you with... if you have set up your account so that you are driving relevant, well qualified traffic to your website and you are getting absolutely no response, you should probably look at your website rather than the traffic source. All Google can do is connect with people who have the itch that you can scratch. They go online looking - actively searching - for your product or service. They see your ad and visit your website. what more do you want AdWords to do? At that point AdWords job is done and your site has to pick up the ball and run with it.

Now, if the people that AdWords is sending to your site are not the right people you need to change the way your account is set up so that it does. AdWords doesn't KNOW who you want - you have to tell it. You give it poor, open ended instructions, you'll get poor, low relevance traffic.

Will Google spend your budget? Of course they will. So make it hard for them to spend it only by sending you well targeted, motivated visitors who are looking for EXACTLY what you offer.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
@stickleback Very nicely said!