AdWords
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

funnel not working for unique token page?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So i have a 3 step process for registration.

domain. com/register1
domain. com/register2
domain. com/register/auth

after /auth there is a unique token like auth-tkn2342034423nhdhh  

so i set it to regular expression match because obviously the tokens are different everytime... so i just entered domain.com/register/auth as the goal URL even though its not the full path.

two days ago i set register 2 as the goal and it worked... but now i set the register/auth as the goal (one step further) and its not working? Can anyone tell me why? I know the unique token urls are being tracked in general because ive seen it in analytics just not working with funnel?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: funnel not working for unique token page?

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi

1. Normal analytics set up requires uri to be setup in the goals like /register/auth and not domain. com/register/auth. Make sure u are entering URI unless u have customized setup to track full URL

2. is your domain. com/register/auth page loading properl? check page load time for thta page

3. In regex altho just url should work but can u try with domain. com/register/auth.*

4. Check out whether you have pageviews for domain. com/register/auth in page view report and make sure analytics tracking is working fine on that page

Hope this helps

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi newbieguy,

I find regular expressions for the goal to be very tricky. If the URL always starts with /register/auth, I would use head match. Otherwise, your regular expression should look someting like:

\/register\/auth.*

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

sorry i dont put the domain in for register/auth  just /register/auth

yes i am getting page views too to the register/auth-tkn897d978dhjhd (and i see multiple tokens obviously from multiple users)

so we can say its being tracked. I think i tried head match, but will try again.. this stinks because i went through all of this trouble to make multi page registration and now i cant properly track it.... i make the two steps before it required.

also i must tell you this im leaving out............. i have the three step registration but i have three different user types.....

so i really have

register/buyer1

register/buyer2

register/auth

regsiter/seller1

register/seller2

register/auth

register/broker1

register/broker2

register/auth

I thow all three user types to the same page......... register/auth but to differentiate them i have an if clause that changes the headline title.............

Do you think this could be screwing something up? 

Top Contributor Alumni
# 5
Top Contributor Alumni

So your 1st step will be 

register/buyer1|regsiter/seller1|register/broker1

Your 2nd step will be

register/buyer2|regsiter/seller2|register/broker2

Your 3rd step will be 

register/auth.*
Or something like
register/auth\?.*

Hope this helps

Regards, Nik

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi newbieguy,

Looks like theniks has a handle on this. Don't forget, you need to escape the slashes (/) with backslashes (\).

Best of Luck!

Pete

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey guys your awesome thank you so much........

Well the first few steps i did, its the auth page i didnt do like this

register/auth.*
Or something like
register/auth\?.*

I am going to fix the auth now and see if that works.. went through so much trouble to make all of these register pages and i cant even trakc it prooperly hah.

how should i set auth page now, head match or regular, def not exact right? I will update soon, my old account i thought results were instant but my new one is taking 24 hours or so to update, kinda stinks... i cant even run adwords until i fix this... ok guys speak soon, cant thank you enough.

One other question i would like to ask you guys as you seem to really have a good grasp on this stuff.

one my "auth-tkn38939839" or whatever unique token... you select which page want from a three tier selection for different pricing... that page then goes to /payment  lol i know i have like 40 regsitration pages...

Currently i dont have tracking on "payment" ... does it matter? Should i set up another funnel to see how many people go from auth (the select your package page) to the actual enter your credit card page?

Does it even matter because at the end of the day if people went from auth to payment and didnt pay would would that tell me anyway, they dont trust the payment page .. probably not, it would just be people acting like human beings and seeing what it was.

Thank you guys!

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi newbieguy,

I'll answer the auth page question first. You should be able to use either head match or a regular expression. Regular expressions are harder to get right. You need to escape certain characters like the slash. So, if you are going to use regular expressions, it will look like this:

\/register\/auth.*

The backslash says look for a literal slash. The dot (.) means any character. The asterisk (*) means 0 to many occurrances.

If you use head match, it will look like this:

/register/auth

Note, you need the first slash or the url won't match.

Now, to your other question. The point of doing all this is so Analytics can add stuff up for you and give you a quick look at the success and/or failure of your campaign. You should only have one conversion in the sales funnel-and that's when you get their money. Nothing else is a conversion--nothing!

Now, you have 3 levels of pricing, and I would guess this applies to each of your sources. The problem with using goals to track your sales is it assigns a constant value for the conversion. This means the amount of revenue reported by Analytics will be wrong. A better way to track the AdWords revenue is to use the AdWords conversion script. Have your shopping fill in the actual amount of the sale. That will make your life so much simpler!

Of course, you are already tracking the goal, so if you add the conversion script to your thank you page, you will them be recording double the number of actual registrations. The thing to do is delete the imported goal as  a conversion in the AdWords system.

The final destination for your goal should be the "thank you" page-the page you show the visitor when the registration process has been completed. You do not want multiple Analytics goal definitions for your one goal. Your goal is to finalize the registrations. After defining the thank you page as the end step, then define each step in the sequence expected in the goal setup. You will be able to see how many people entered the funnel, and from where. And you will be able to see where people drop out in the registration process.

Best of Luck!

Pete

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 9
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi

I am not really a great fan of "head match" I rather like "Regex" because it gives greater flexibility. You dont have to wait for 24 hrs if you follow the following steps you can teste your "Regex" Right away in your site content report.

Here are few things you can try with Regex

1. Before setting up funnels you should write down regex for all the pages in a notepad

2. Go to content>>site content >> All pages

3. Click Advanced next to search box

4. Select Regex and paste your regex from notepad here and check in the report if you get the pages which are supposed to show up for that step

5. If its correct then set up your funnel, if not then change and retest your Regex

Hope this helps

Regards, Nik

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Great advice from Nik. I hadn't thought of a way to test the RegEx.

Pete