AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

double conversion count on analytics import?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I would like to import ecommerce data into my adwords front end but am hesitant as I have heard that it could lead to double conversion tracking?  Is this still a problem?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: double conversion count on analytics import?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Stacey, if you already have Conversion Tracking working via AdWords then yes, importing Transactions from Analytics will result in conversions being reported twice - it's an either/or choice.

If Conversion Tracking is working correctly, the Transactions data from Analytics won't give you any more data than is already available; is there a particular reason you want to use the Analytics data instead?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I was under the impression that the imported data from analytics would give
us the ecommerce value which would obviously make for better optimisation
choices?

Kind Regards
* Stacey Vermaak*
Portfolio Manager

+27 21 461 7180
*stacey*@therebellion.co.za
the*Rebellion*.co.za

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Stacey,

If you import your conversions (transactions) from Analytics then the conversion will bring with it the transaction value - assuming that your eCommerce solution is prepared for this (most are). If transactions and transaction value are already reporting in Analytics , then you can be assured that they will.

However, as Jon explains above, AdWords conversions are independent of imported GA conversions. Thus if you have a purchase confirmation type page, and you afre tracking this in AdWords, as well as the transaction conversion imported from GA - then each timne a sale is made BOTH with be recorded. In effect what happens is that the single action is counted twice- the effect? - your cost per conversion is halved.

I have seen many accounts where business owners were happily running campaigns with a cost per conversion that was significantly lower than the "reality" - as a result of this double counting as well as other circumstances, it is certainly something to be very wary of.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
I agree with both of these comments. You could also just customize the adwords conversion to grab your transaction value assuming the two codes exist on the same page. So, your var_conversion_value = [whatever total rev from transaction was]. That can either be manually set by page or set to pull a dynamic figure. However, if you need AdWords data to better match Analytics then you may be better off discontinuing the use of the conversion code and importing the analytics goals/transactions. Also, then you're not doubling your technical team's efforts by creating a connection to two tracking sources.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
I must confess - I struggle to see the point of adapting the Adwords conversion code to dynamically import the conversion value from the eCommerce solution - when that is what the GA transaction conversion will give you anyway.... I know that others here prefer to use the Adwords conversions - I think as much as anything because the conversion comes through much more quickly - rather than with the 48 hour or so delay you get with GA conversions - but I'd be keen to hear from others as to any other arguments in favor - or opposed.....

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm 100% with you @stickleback.

I would take the GA transaction. I really feel like the time/cost spent altering that code by a developer outweighs waiting on data to populate. Especially, because the data is still available to analysts in GA. But, I didn't want my bias to stop me from offering a suggestion that may better suit someone else.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
@Andrew B - it's my bias too - I'm just not really sure why some prefer the AdWords conversion - as you say, it just seems like a lot of work to get to the same place you can get to with a couple of clicks..... and in most cases means having to get your IT guys to do you a favor!

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

I can fall on both sides of the fence Smiley Happy

Pro AdWords:  the key pro for this is the time factor, I think.  If you've got a business that converts very frequently - and I'm talking 100s of conversions a day or more - and has to optimise dynamically then that time lag is critical.  I use lots of automated rules that work on the last 7 days of data particularly running up to the holiday season where sales can change dramatically in very short periods of time.  If I was relying upon GA, my "last 7 days" would be 7 days of spend and 5 days of conversions.

I might also argue that setting up values in the AdWords code is slightly simpler than GA ecommerce (it is, of course, definitely simpler if your conversion value is fixed as you can set that in the UI), but then I'd recommend GA ecommerce for any site anyway so the point is moot.

Pro GA:  my main "pro" point here is that I've seen several sites where the AdWords tracking code "misses" conversions while GA successfully tracks them - this seems to be a particular problem with some CMS installations, but I've seen it on bespoke sites as well.  I have two Accounts that I switched to GA for this very reason (one was losing almost half their AdWords sourced conversions).

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits