AdWords
6.5K members online now
6.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

does each adwords campaign need it's own conversion code

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi we are about to launch a new site and will use adwords to drive traffic to it. We want to track conversions for downloads, sign-ups and transactions.  I understand we need separate conversion tracking codes for each separate action (download, transaction etc) but do we also need separate code snippets for each separate ad campaign?  If we did we would need 100's of snippets which doesn't sound right.

So am I right in thinking that once we link Adwords to Analytics we need only set-up 1 conversion snippet per action. But in analytics we would still see conversions broken down by individual adwords campaigns.  Just want to double check.  thnx  Steve

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RaggyRat (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: does each adwords campaign need it's own conversion code

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Stephen C,

You are correct. Conversion code is not tied to any one campaign. You can use the same code for every campaign.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RaggyRat (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Stephen C,

You are correct. Conversion code is not tied to any one campaign. You can use the same code for every campaign.

Best of Luck!

Pete

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

@Stephen C wrote:

Hi we are about to launch a new site and will use adwords to drive traffic to it. We want to track conversions for downloads, sign-ups and transactions.  I understand we need separate conversion tracking codes for each separate action (download, transaction etc) but do we also need separate code snippets for each separate ad campaign?  If we did we would need 100's of snippets which doesn't sound right.

So am I right in thinking that once we link Adwords to Analytics we need only set-up 1 conversion snippet per action. But in analytics we would still see conversions broken down by individual adwords campaigns.  Just want to double check.  thnx  Steve

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the community.

You can create goals in analytics to track these different conversion parameters. You can check the more details About Goals

Hope this helps.Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Steve,

Your site appears to be an eCommerce site. If you want to track the value of your transactions, Goals aren't the best way to set it up. Yes, you will want to set up goals so you can inspect the sales funnel, but I would not import those goal completions as AdWords conversions for the transactions.

For the download, if it's free, and goal completions that all carry the same value, goals work just fine. For the eCommerce, either place the AdWords conversion code on the thank you page or implement eCommerce transactions and import those as AdWords conversions.

You'll get better data this way.

Best of Luck!

Pete