AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

counting clicks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi 

I am still unclear about what counts as a click. I have added sitelinks to my ads.  If one person clicks all the sitelinks in one ad - say 6 within 10 minutes - will this count as 6 clicks?

If so, I'll stop using so many sitelinks

Thanks

Julie

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Julie P
September 2015

Re: counting clicks

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Julie,

I am not Google but I would like to add here about suspicious activity or invalid clicks possibility which might be the case you are referring to here whe you talk about repeated clicks to sitelinks within a short interval of time. If someone does it intentionally, Google might track it and gives you the credit back to your account. They have different signals and tools to identify that.

However, if that's not the case, then clicks will be treated as normal and you can find how many users clicked on sitelinks and regular headlines under Ad Extensions>>Sitelink extensions>> segment the data by click type.

My coupls of cents!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Julie

I thinks if a user click on different site links within 10 min. then each click will be counted.

Abhishek

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Abishek. I thught that might be the case, but I hoped google would confirm. The reason I am unsure is that in different replies to the same type of question, they have given different answers without being really specific. So I hoped if I added a very specific question I'd get a clear answer from Google. Julie

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes, Google can confirm the exact case. I am also not **bleep** sure but logically it should be counted as clicks.

Abhishek
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Julie P
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Julie,

I am not Google but I would like to add here about suspicious activity or invalid clicks possibility which might be the case you are referring to here whe you talk about repeated clicks to sitelinks within a short interval of time. If someone does it intentionally, Google might track it and gives you the credit back to your account. They have different signals and tools to identify that.

However, if that's not the case, then clicks will be treated as normal and you can find how many users clicked on sitelinks and regular headlines under Ad Extensions>>Sitelink extensions>> segment the data by click type.

My coupls of cents!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you both,

I'll adjust my sitelinks accordingly.

Julie

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
There's another related thread here this morning and it's worth just making a similar point....

What you might be seeing on your sitelinks report may not be what's actually happening....

Let's say your ad appears with 6 sitelinks - and a visitor clicks on your ad - or one ONE of the sitelinks. All six sitelinks get credited with a click! I know that's not really logical - but it is the way it works. You'll only pay for one click, but in the reporting your see all six sitleinks reporting a click.

So before you remove your sitelinks just make sure you aren't worrying about excessive clicks with no reason....

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks very much for that Steve.

I do think that Google needs to make it very clear from the outset, what we are actually paying for now that PPC is the only game in town.  I wouldn't want to be so vague about what I was delivering to my customers and they certainly wouldn't accept such fuzziness.  It's pretty unacceptable and doesn't look very transparent.  We all know Google is in it for the money, constantly changing its offer (and failing to pay a proper rate of tax in the UK as well), so it needs to work extra hard to keep the trust.

What was that about doing no evil?

Thanks again

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
I hear what you are saying - but there is another side to this... when an ad appears with the call extension, and the location extension, and the social extension, and sitelinks - all of these things make the ad look more important - there's simply more to it.... the user simply sees so much information on this particular search result that they are almost bound to trust them more and be more convinced by their offer - so they click on the ad.

So Googel then have to kind of decide, what made the user click? Even if they see a sitlelink that attracts them they might click on the ad, or they are attracted by the ad and when they look closely see a sitelink that is even more relevant than the ad itself and they click on that - but they wouldn't have read the sitelink unless the headline had grabbed their attention... and so on...

I agree that "allowing" every sitelink to claim the click is not the best way, but the alternatives may be no better.