AdWords
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

conversion tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all, 

I have two basic questions regarding conversions. 

1. Testing landing page. We are testing the database we built to host all form submissions. Will filling out a form WITHOUT clicking on an ad result in a conversion recorded in AdWords? What if the link we used is tagged "xxxx utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpcxxxx" 

2. Multiple landing pages. We have multiple landing pages under the same domain example.com/lp1, example.com/lp2. Conversion tracking is on the keyword/ad group/campaign level which means if I'd come from an ad by clicking on an ad that uses lp1 but I navigated to lp2, conversion will be recorded under the keyword used. But it's a little confusing since tracking is set up on a specific page. So when I generate the code, should I paste both lp1 and lp2 codes or just lp1/lp1 code and lp2/lp2 code. I guess I'm asking how AdWords knows to differentiate where I'm coming from? I'm sure this is a silly question for y'all out there but it's hard for me to wrap my head around.  Smiley Very Happy

I appreciate all your time and help.

G

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Gretchen W
September 2015

Re: conversion tracking

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Gretchen,

Welcome to the AdWords CommunitySmiley Happy

Here is the answers of your first questions:-

#A
Will filling out a form WITHOUT clicking on an ad result in a conversion recorded in AdWords?

AdWords will only record those conversions which has been submitted only though clicking on Adwords live ads. If you are testing the landing page without clicking on AdWords ads, Adwords will not count it as conversion in AdWords interface.

#B
What if the link we used is tagged "xxxx utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpcxxxx"

This tag(UTM Parameter) is used to track the campaigns performance in Google Ananlytics. In this case if you perform a test in landing page with UTM parameter, Anlaytics will show it under the Google(AdWords) section, where as AdWords will not count this as a conversion.

Here is the answers of your second question:-

#C
So when I generate the code, should I paste both lp1 and lp2 codes or just lp1/lp1 code and lp2/lp2 code

The conversion code is paste on Thank-you page not in the landing page. If you have multiple variations of LP but have same Thank You page, you can insert the conversion code in thank you page.

#D
I guess I'm asking how AdWords knows to differentiate where I'm coming from?

AdWords system track each conversion and click through cookies, It will automatically find which keyword user is used, and your ads appear and they your campaigns get conversions.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: conversion tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Rakesh for the welcome & prompt response Smiley Happy Love being a part of this community.

G