AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

conversion tracking with no thank you page

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

i have a situation where there is a conversion but no conversion (thank you/receipt) page afterwords. after the conversion, the user is automatically redirected to a different site on a different domain which is not under my responsibility.

still, i want to track these conversion. my first thought was to redirect the user through a blank page which will automatically redirect the user to the other site (the one that is not under my responsibility). the problem is - how can i make sure the conversion tracking code is executed before the redirection code? is there a way in the api to know if the tracking code has finished running?

any help is much appreciated.

thanks 

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: conversion tracking with no thank you page

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi ozzy,

As per my understanding, you need to have the thanks page so that Adwords can record the conversion.

Process is like this: Everytime the user reaches this thanks page, the conversion tracking code (which is placed on this thanks page) places a temporary cookie in order to record the conversion. So if there is no thank you page, where will the cookie be placed and how the conversion will be recorded?

You can refer to this for more details.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Ozzy,

After the conversion was made - you can open a "thank you page" with a big "loading title and icon" -

insert the "conversion tracking code" + script of "redirect after 5 seconds action" to the other site.

in my experience those 5 seconds should do it :-)

Good luck,

Asaf

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Karl (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Ozzy,

No amount of time is safe to assume the conversion code has run, it is just too unpredictable. There are a couple optoins for you.

First option, if all conversions carry the same value, you can track the click event as a goal. This is fairly simple to do. In the onsubmit event for the form, include trackPageView('conversion'). The proper syntax for doing this depends on the version of the Analytics tracking code you have installed. For details on this, go to Analytics Event tracking setup.

The other option, and the one I use most often, is to create a javascript function that creates the tagged image that is in the noscript part of the conversion code, then include that function in the onsubmit event for the form. Once the script creates the image, you can forward the browser to the other web site. This method allows you to capture the actual value of a conversion.

Neither of these methods will work if Javascript is disabled in the browser.

Ok, I have one more option that would run on the server side. When the form is submitted, rather than return a page with the tracking code installed, as Asaf has suggested, return only the image part of the script. To record the conversion, all that is absolutely necessary is to send the request for the image to Google. Returning the image first and the redirect at the end of the page could somewhat reliably record your conversion data,  even better if you place the "redirect" code in the onload event of the image.

I just don't like the solution of showing a page that redirects itself. I imagine that's a personal preference. I have seen this techinque quite a bit in the past, but not so much any more.

I have posted examples of how to create the image with Javascript on this forum a few times. If you're not a Javascript programmer, you might want to find someone to help you with that.

Of the three options I've outlined here, the first should provide the quickest response for the user. If all conversion have the same value, or if you don't track the value of the conversion, this would be the preferable method as it requires no addition page views and would execute very quickly--I would expect a good bit less than one second.

If you are tracking the value of the conversion, the second method would be preferrable, as it, too, would execute very quickly and does not require an extra page view.

I would only use the third option if you are unable to get the first 2 to work.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Ozzy, you may want to use Google Analytics goals, and import those Goals into adwords.

So, rather than trying to worry about the load time (a couple of seconds should be enough, BTW), you can:

1) Create a "virtual pageview" every time someone clicks on the link. Check this link: http://support.google.com/analytics/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1032720. This will report as a pageview in Google Analytics.

2) Create a goal in Google Analytics for that pageview you created: http://support.google.com/analytics/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1032415&topic=1007030&ctx=topic

3) Import that Goal into Google Adwords: http://support.google.com/analytics/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1034306

Keep in mind though, that there is ~24 hours of a time discrepancy from when Google Adwords imports their data from Google Analytics and vice versa.

Another option you may want to consider is putting the javascript redirect code after the conversion tracking code. This will require the conversion tracking code to  load first before starting on the redirect.

Hope this helps,

David J

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

thank you all so much for your suggestions, i will definately try them out and report back.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Pete,

i've looked through your messages to find the examples you have posted of how to create the image with Javascript but couldn't find anything (well you have quite a lot of messages here so i might have missed).

Is there any chance you can post it again or direct me to a posted example?

it seems like your second option is the one for me, i'm just not sure how to implement it.

thanks again

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi ozzy,

Ok, the javascript to create an image:

<script type="text/javascript">

function recordConversion() {

oImg = new Image();

oImg.src="https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/conversion/<<google_conversion_id>>/?value=<<google_value>>&amp;label=<<google_conversion_label>>&amp;script=0";

oImg.height=1;

oImg.width=2;

document.body.appendChild(oImg);

return true;

}

</script>

In the form tag:

<form name=signup onsubmit="return recordConversion();">

If all conversions have the same value, just replace the items within (and including) << >> with the values provided by the conversion code for google_conversion_id, google_conversion_label and google_conversion_value. If the conversions have different values, you'll need to alter this script to include the actual value of the conversion.

The function returns true, which means after it runs it will then go to the page designated in the form action.

This script will run unmodified--but it won't record conversions properly unless you fill in your values. Oh, and I assumed you are using a form. You can do the same thing with a link, but then it would be in the onclick event code:

<a href=some.other.com onclick="return recordConversion();">

Best of Luck! Let me know if you have trouble with it.

Pete

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Pete, thank you so much for your help, i really appreciate it.

the solution you presented is an end to end solution, and i'm keeping it as i might use it in the future, but unfortunately, after digging into my current case, i realized that it does not fit to it. in my case, clicking on the submit button does not guarantee that the transaction is succeeded. there are many conditions that are being checked on the server side in order to decide if it succeeded or not.

so i guess i'm back to square one :-(

again, thank you (and all) for your help, i will take all the solutions you presented above and sew a specific solution.

Ozzy

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hey ozzy,

You are absolutely correct about that. This solution isn't going to work in this case.

Best of Luck!

Pete