AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

conversion tracking code not working after a whole month!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Everyone,

My web developers have told me that they've put the adwords conversion tracking code on the page that the user sees after they have made a purchase but I can't see any conversions coming through even though a few sales have been made. It's been a whole month now and I don't know what to do. Can anyone help?

Is there a way to diagnose the problem without actually running a test conversion? This isn't something that I can do.

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: conversion tracking code not working after a whole month!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Rashed

You've got following two options:

1. Have a look at the source code of the thankyou page. Do you find the AdWords conversion tracking code there?
2. Install the Google Tag Assistant plugin into your Chrome Browser. Go to the thankyou page and have a look what the Tag Assistant reports.

If the conversion code is in fact on the thankyou page you need to verify if the thankyou page is really being called when a conversion happens.

If all of this doesn't help just post us the thankyou page and we'll have a look.

Cheers
Aleks

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi AleV,

Ok cool. I'll try this and get back to you.

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
There is another thing to look out for...

conversions using Adwords code only trigger if the visitor landing on the page originate din AdWords.... and Analytics needs to be able to track this visitor all the way through the process.

If there is a page(s) in the path ot the ocnversion that doesn't carry your Analytics code, then the visit will get re-tagged as something else - such as a direct visitor or as an internal referral.

This happens often when a shopping cart takes a person off the original site - processes the payment - and then sends them back to the site to the confirmation page. We have struggled with a number of ecomm solutions that do this without preserving the tagging.

check that something similar is not happening in your case.

Are you getting page views of the conversion page? If so, where are these visitors coming from?

My guess is "direct" or "referral"....

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Rashed

I'm going to have to disagree with Steve on this, that's a rare occasion.

You say you have installed the AdWords conversion code on the page that the user sees after they have made a purchase. This code functions completely independently of Google Analytics. It works with a third party cookie that is sent to Google when the conversion code is called. It should work even when the conversion happens on a different site, and returns to the "thank you" page on your own site. The problem in tracking these conversions is that for some third party payment processors, the user is not always returned to the thank you page on your own site.

Here's one other thing you can look for. The thank you page and AdWords conversion code can not be delivered through Ajax or through a call-back. Javascript code loaded this way does not run. You will need a different strategy to capture conversions this way. Ask your developer. If he says the thank you page is delivered with a call-back, tell them to return only the image part of the conversion code, with the conversion value filled in. That will record the conversions.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

I stand corrected... but now I sit down confused....

Pete - I'm not sure I follow exactly how the AdWords conversion is tracked in this case...

It's a simple enough story when the whole process is completed on the one site. But how does the conversion get tracked back to the ad/keyword/campaign etc, when the conversion happens on a third party site? 

AdWords conversions only trigger when the visitor originated through an Adwords visit - so how does the conversion know this is the case if the visitor has left the original site? I'm trying to get my head around this and maybe it's too early (or hot!) or maybe my mental hard drive is just full!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi
I agree with Steve that the conversion has to originate from AdWords. I tried making some test conversions without clicking the ads. Even my analytics data shows goals achieved but no conversion against AdWords campaigns. Next I tried on a different website without analytics code but having conversion code on thank you page. Here also when I clicked on paid ad and did a conversion, it was showing against the campaign.

In this case something has to be wrong with the code implementation or the script of the website.

Google Tag Assistant can identify any errors with the code implementation. If there isn't any problem with conversion code then there may be a problem with the script.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi Steve,

The AdWords conversion code works with a 3rd party cookie that goes to Google. When you click on the ad, the cookie is set with the gclid value. When the conversion code appears on the page, that cookie is sent along with the request for the script (or for the image). As long as the conversion code is properly placed on the conversion page, the conversion should be recorded.

Mind you, this is a third party cookie and some browsers block 3rd party cookies by default. All browser off the option of disabling 3rd party cookies. If these cookies are blocked by the browser, the conversion can not be recorded.

Hope this helps.

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Thanks, Pete - that does help.

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Rashed

Have you found the solution in the meantime?

Cheers
Aleks