AdWords
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

conversion tracking by keyword

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

I have 2 different conversions. Now I would like to see which keywords are leading to which conversion.

In the campaign tab I just see the total number of conversions, not which converion. In the conversion tab I just see the total number for each conversion. In the search funnel tab I dont find the function either.

Any idea?

Re: conversion tracking by keyword

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey German

If you go to the KW tab, you will find a drop down called segment (just below and to the left of where the KW tab is located)

Here you are able to segment by conversion type or name.

This will tell you which KW's are leading to which conversions.

Let me know if you have any trouble!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks. Unfortunately that doesnt work if I am in the search term tab.

I ask, because there are some strange search terms and adwords shows that they are even creating conversions. So I am wondering which conversion they produce...

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author German Neuroscience Center D
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Unfortunately segmenting by conversions does not work in the search term tab, or at least I have never been able to make it work

The reason given:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2404039?hl=en-GB#missing_columns

Perhaps you can get lucky and narrow it down to one day and one conversion on said keyword, but besides luck and some heavy deductive reasoning I can think of a way to get a conversion tied to a users search query.

I have previously had to link a search query to a conversion and only did it because I was lucky. If you have multiple ads running you may have the same luck as you can see what query triggered which ad and if that ad is linked to conversion then you can make the link that way.

But like I said it gets really convoluted and you will need to be lucky and if you have an account with a lot of conversions a day then this is unlikely to get you the results you want.

Perhaps another user knows of a way to do this on the adwords platform?

Your next step would be to use the analytics platform.

If you look under acquistion > adwords > match search queries.

Here you will be able to see all the phrases that triggered your adwords ads and then obviously see what goals were completed by those queries.

This of course relies on the fact that you have set up and linked your analytics.

Hope this was helpful (the analytics part not the luck/rambling part Smiley Tongue)
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author German Neuroscience Center D
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello @German Neuroscience Center D and @Clynton M 

Viewing individual conversion names through Segmenting Conversions by name in the Search Terms report works IF

1) You add the column "Conversions" on which the number of each individual conversions will be listed, so not only "Converted clicks"

2) You use a time-frame large enough to have data for conversions , try "All time" and then restrict to smaller intervals.

My guess is that you have not included the "Conversions" column in that report.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
@Adrian: Thanks. It works perfectly!

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Actually to be fair, it was Clynton M who gave you the solution in message 2 Smiley Happy , but I am glad you feel happy

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Smiley Wink you are right. So, thanks to you both!

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Adrian,

That is awesome! thank you for pointing out the hiccup Smiley Tongue