AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

conversion tab vs search funnel conversions

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Why are conversions in the Search Funnel fewer than the conversions listed under the conversion tab? I'm choosing "all paths", but they are always fewer. I know that originally they tracked only Google.com conversions and not Display or search partner conversions here -- is that still the case? Is this what accounts for the discrepancy?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: conversion tab vs search funnel conversions

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi maudehasgone,

Are you segmenting the Search Funnel for paid traffic only? The 2 systems track source differently. AdWords will claim any conversion that occurs within 30 days of the original click. Analytics will attribute the last source (other than direct).

So, let's say a user clicks on your ad, views your site but does not convert right away. Now, that same user sees a link to your web site, either through organic search or another site that links to yours, and click on that link. We'll figure it was a Google search for simplicity here. That user then converts.

Analytics will say that conversion was from organic search.
AdWords will count that as one AdWords conversion.

The number in the two systems rarely match up exactly because of the differences in source attribution.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hello Maudehasgone,

On this link I read :
These reports are called Search Funnels. "Search," of course, refers to people searching on Google
http://support.google.com/adwords/certification/answer/1722023?hl=en&ref_topic=2796167

So it is not about the display network. But I think that it can be other Google search domains, not only google.com
** I´am learning Adwords and find it very interesting.
** Ik ben Adwords aan het leren en vind het erg boeiend.

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I can confirm the original poster's concern, and I think it is because the conversions tab shows conversions many per click even if I have chosen the metric "conv. 1 per click" . Also the dimensions tab shows me 2 times less conversions 1 per click than the search funnel. I am using mainly Goals from analytics for a site that generates leads not product sales. So what type of conversions is the search funnel reporting , many per click or 1 per click ? The adwords interface reports another set of conversion numbers compared to the search funnel, as seen from picture upload no 3.

conversion-tab.png

search-funnels-overview.png

conversions-adwords-all-campaigns.png

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Elja is right, the search funnel overview shows many-per-click conversions without the Display network ( remarketing or not ) conversions, because I have a total of 36 display network conversions are 299 total many-per-click conversions , thus in the search funnel I can see exactly 299 - 36 = 263 conversions.

I wonder what happens with the conversions from remarketing applied on the search network ( RLSA ) ? Are they going to be added to the search funnel ?

And how can we select to display only 1-per-click conversions in the conversions tab and the search funnel ? Or what is the logic behind displaying only many-per-click conversions.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
On this page they write
Conversion reports are based on many-per-click conversions unless stated otherwise. These include the following.
http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722023?hl=en

I do not know why the do that. Maybe they just have one all in kind off tracking, and that is why they to this.
** I´am learning Adwords and find it very interesting.
** Ik ben Adwords aan het leren en vind het erg boeiend.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
This is good info, thanks. In this case, though my conversions are from Adwords, using conversion code placed on the page--there is no Analytics involved here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
hi,Sir!What is the search funnel like,now!Are they still using the many-per-click?Seems that,these terms are not existing anymore,which are all conversions and unique conversions(could you pls, kindly explain the technique definination of the all conversions and unique conversion,seems that every time,the code runs,the all conversions would add 1,but how about the unique conversions,and the converted clicks? how do different gclid and scsrc ,time window, cookie, different goals influnce the metric?)