AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

conversion code still there?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

One of my clients has used code for conversion tracking for several pages on his web, but removed it some weeks ago.

However, conversion are still tracked, so I checked the page where the page is supposed to be (according to Adwords), but there isn´t any code. I even tried a contact form on the page to see if that generated any code, but it didn´t and now I am lost...

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: conversion code still there?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi David,

Did you set up the page as an Analytics goal? Did you import that goal into AdWords? If you answered yes to both, that is why conversions continue to be recorded. (It is also likely that conversions were being doubled counted when you did have the conversion code on the page.

Hope this helps!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Pete

We only used AdWords conversion tracking code

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

In the conversions page on adwords check the webpage tab.

Conversion Tab

Check from which pages your code was trigerred. If you have a thank you page in the list, then data for that page should be found out. Or else no conversions.

Thanks,

Chetan.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Chetan,
done that. URL:s on the list do not have conversion tracking code.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi David, when you say "some weeks ago", how many weeks exactly are we talking about?  As I'm sure you know, the Adwords "click cookie" lasts 30 days and I'm wondering if this cookie on it's own is triggering a conversion (because the second visit is within 30 days) even though the actual conversion code is no longer in place.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi David,

Perplexing problem you have here. Cobnut has an interesting thought, but I don't see any way for the cookie itself to register a conversion without the code present.

I had another thought, but I don't even know if this is possible. What happens if a cookied user opens a cached "thank you" page that had the code on it? Do you have a no-cache header on the thank you page?

And a question, are conversions being recorded in the time period before or after the conversion code was removed? If before, the cached page might be the answer for you, but not if after.

I'm going to excalate this post and see what Google has to say. Please let us know how it turns out.

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jon

I´ve also been thinking about the cookie-time. You mean they got the cookie 20 days ago and converted today. But that conversion should be attributed to the day 20 days ago, not today, right?

Not sure what you are thinking in regard to this cookie on it's own is triggering a conversion

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Pete,
the conversions registered are for today and yesterday.
I think your cache-explanation sounds probable.
I am not a coder so I don´t fully understand what no-cache header means, but at least I can´t find anything about in the source code

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

IF it's the cookie doing the work (and remember I'm largely guessing here), then I'd expect the conversion to register on the date of the actual sale/goal.  That is, if the first visit was 20 days ago, then the customer returns and buys today, I'd expect the conversion to register as today, not 20 days ago.  This is an important metric - the time to sale - for any site.  You need to measure this "gap" between the first visit and the conversion and know how to best serve your customers.

I did have another thought.  I'm sure you've checked but is there any possibility the conversion code has somehow found its way onto another page?  Perhaps even one you'd never think of checking?  Have you done a grep of the whole site to look for the code?

J

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits