AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

clicks from outside the target area- settings are right

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
We set up the campaigns to a target area by specific zip codes and the audience has to be physically be inside the area "people in the target area". We have been getting 25-30% clicks from areas 5 hours drive from us (not suburbs but bigger cities). We have been using a third party software to track the exact IP of the clicks and it also matched the weird data on google analytics, we had in past week 126 clicks and only 50 visitors to our specific location. Google adwords denies any problem and claims that all clicks are from the target area. Can it be a competitor with a VPN clicking on our ads because the IPs are in the same range? Does anyone have any idea how to stop it except for blocking the ip ranges which are a lot and they can always come with new ones. Any assistance will be much appreciated.
1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi there,

It is rare for Google staff to admit their system is anything other than 100% perfect...

Google relies on 3rd party data for assigning IP addresses to locations. I have read of tests where the accuracy in AdWords is only around 80-90%. 

That the IP addresses are in the same range means the most likely reason is Google's 3rd parties have got the location of that range wrong. But yes, it could be a competitor.

Either way, you can block the IP address range in AdWords.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Rob,

Thank you for your reply. I need to block a wide range of IPs but it doesn't allow me to to it. I need to block 172.50-59.0-255.0-255. Do you know how to block such a wide range?

I blocked 172.58.130.* for example but I have too many. Any idea?

Thank you.

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Location targeting isn't perfect, especially when it comes to IP addresses. Visits and clicks are not the same thing - What are your actual billed costs vs. reported cost totals? What do the location reports in the dimensions tab of the AdWords UI show?

"we had in past week 126 clicks and only 50 visitors to our specific location." Do you mean you only had 50 visitors into a specific retail location, visits to a certain webpage, users from specific locations?

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Tom, 

When I was referring to visits I was referring to users entrance data taken from google analytics. There were 50 visitors to the site from the targeted area and 60 from outside the area(new website so the SEO is far from generating this type of traffic yet).  In the past week we had 89 clicks with 30 clicks from out of area with average cps of $11(about $2000 a month). 

The location report in the dimensions tab shows as if all clicks were from the target area(which is why google is not willing to even listen to me). The third party software shows the specific IPs and he majority of them come from Chicago which matches the information on Google analytics and Awstats with IPs that starts with 172.56.*.* or 172.58.*.* I also had some IPs from kansas city that I blocked the range already. I really need to get this sorted out but the problem that no one in google is willing to hear me out and I'm able to pull the "wild card" (*) only at the end of the IP and their range is too wide. Any idea? Thank you.

Any idea?

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Unfortunately wildcards can only be used for the last 3 digits of the IP addresses.

That is a huge range of IP addresses, so I would say it is not a competitor, but an ISP or phone service.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes Rob they are all coming from T-mobile users in Chicago. But why do they see the ad there and how can I block them? If it was a competitor and they were using a VPN then I wouldn't been able to see their IP addresses, correct?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Rob,

One more thing that I have noticed is that the IP addresses are from the same exact range. For example today we had clicks from 172.56.136.X 172.56.136.Y and 172.56.136.Z. What are the chances statistically that out of our 30 clicks today and area that covers 3 million people we will receive 3 clicks from out of our target area from 3 IPs which are so close to each other. We also received 2 clicks from 172.56.13.X and 172.56.13.Y. Do you find it strange or is it just me? 

I appreciate any help you can give me. 

Asaf