AdWords
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

click spam

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am noticing that I am receiving clicks on product listing ads for some of my more obscure items during the early hours of the morning.  E.g. someone clicked on a product listing ad on 7/19 from Herndon Virginia at 1:00 am EST.  They bounced immediately (less than a second on the page).  This click seems to me to be suspect.  

What is Google's policy on "click spam"?  Can we do anything about it like omit certain ip addresses or regions from clicking???  How?  

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: click spam

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey kicker521,

AdWords does have an 'Invalid Click' detection system in place. You can read up on the techniques here.

Also, when viewing your campaigns, you can add an Invalid Click column to your dashboard so that you can see how many of these types of clicks your campaigns are receiving. Simply click on the 'Columns' drop down button and add Invalid Clicks from the Performance section.

Lastly, yes you can exlcude certain locations at the campaign level under your Location Settings. You can try to also edit your advanced location options, which can also be found under the settings tab for a campaign.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

BI

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi kicker521,

A visit that bounces is not necessarily an invalid click, at least not in Google's eyes. If you're looking at Google Analytics and you are seeing a bounce, unless you have enabled exiting the page for event tracking all bounces have a time on page of 0:00 seconds. Analytics has no way to measure how long a person stays on your page in this case.

You can look at a couple things. First, if you are getting a lot of bounce visits at odd hours, try ad scheduling to prevent your ads from showing during those hours. If you wish to omit certain regions, try geo-targeting your campaign to only those ares where you want your ad to show.

You can block IP addresses with the IP exclusion tool. You'll need to look through your web logs to find those IP addresses. The easiest and most reliable way to identifiy AdWords traffic is to look for the presence of a gclid value in the query string (assuming you have auto-tagging enabled). Looking at the referrer data is not reliable. After you find the IP address, exclusions are now in the display network settings--even if you don't have the display network enabled.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author kicker521
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi kicker521,

Correction, the IP exclusion list is all the way at the bottom of the campaign settings tab.

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Bluelon, 

Don't see anything like an "invalid click" column. Can you detail exactly how google would measure AND give you access to this metric?  

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ip exclusion list along with adding display schedules and negative keywords will all help. Thanks!

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey Kicker521,

See 'Use Columns to Find Specific Performance Data':

1.) Navigate to the 'Performance, Conversions, and Call Details columns' section.

2.) Under 'Columns that Only Appear on Certain Tabs' navigate to 'Invalid Clicks / Invalid Click Rate'

These steps should explain how to enable the column when viewing campaign reports.

Thanks,

BI