AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

can I get conversion tracking working for an external website?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a book now button which goes to an external website I have no control over - can I still set up tracking to see how many users click on this button?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: can I get conversion tracking working for an external website?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi hanmerapartment,

Does that site have a cusomized thank you page for your web site? If it does, you may be able to include the AdWords conversoin code on that page. That depends on the external website.

You can get a count of the number of people who click on a button by using event tracking in Analytics. I would recommend this method over recording a conversion when a visitor clicks the button. Yes, it will make it tougher to get all the click and sales numbers, but recording a conversion every time a visitor clicks that button may give you data that will make you overly optimistic on the results, or anyone else looking at the numbers.

Take a look at the Analytics event tracking. Start at this page:  https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/gajs/eventTrackerGuide?hl=cs

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords