AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

call tracking onsite

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a client who owns and operates a b&b.

half of their leads come through from calls. people generally do not use the online booking facility much. 

Now, we have the click to call extension on google ads, however we're position 5-6 based on the budget constrained provided to me by the owner. So we rarely ever get the calls directly from the search pages.

We do get a lot of calls and we suspect these are coming from onsite. Is there a way to track these calls through Adword conversion system.

Basically the dyanmic number generated for the call extension, can that be somehow inplemented onsite?

So basically any clicks directly from Adwords would end up displaying the Google routing number, all other visitors will see the direct phone number.

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: call tracking onsite

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

No - the AdWords number only works for the AdWords ads - its an extension.

However, there are a number of call tracking services and they do not need to cost the earth. The one I am currnetly using charges 25 cents per call plpus 3.5 cents per minute - there are no set up fees. This is worhtwhile for my clients since the insights you can get from this are often worth much more than the costs.

However, there is another point I'd like to raise... you say that you can only achive positions 5 or 6 due to the limitations that the client places on the budget. In reality the limitations do not affect the bid... only the total amount spent - so the question here is do you want (and these are just illustrative numbers) 100 visits in postion 5 or 6 or 20 visits in positoin 1 or 2?

If you answer 100 - then I'd encourage you to think again. In many cases the quality of visitor that comes from the top positions - in terms of the conversions - in this case bookings - is higher that that of the visitors from ads in lower positions.

If you concentrate on your cost per conversion you might find that a higher bid gives a lower cost per conversion and, since visits and conversions are two different things - and only one of them represents a return on investment.

If your client is not getting calls from the adwords visitors then why do they continue to advertise at all?

Also - bear in mind that the call extensions do not always appear in the results and are less likely to appear as the ads drop down the positions (I believe - perhaps someone else can confirm this last point).

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

You cannot track through adwords in the manner you describe.

I just went through an eval of 3rd parties on behalf of my clients.

logmycalls.com can track a big subset of calls down to the KW (outside of Adwords).  There are costs associated, but you should think in terms of crafting it to the client as perhaps at temporary measure, to get a window into what is happening.

It is especially risky to make decisions on what often look like poorly performing KWs, if the bulk of the conversions are offline. Running phone tracking for tracking for a couple of months can fill in the blanks.  Good luck.

Regards, Doug
LinkedIn  

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the suggestion Doug, I was surprised that Google doesn't provide a solution for this. Was paticularly surprised how ever search I did lead to the call extension feature. Which I believe has limited mileage for most businesses. The click to call would be useful for established brands who have trust & recognition and customers and specifically looking for their products or service.

For small independant business, it's unlikely a searcher will just call straight off serps.

There are many businesses especially b2b & service based businesses where prospective clients would just pick up the phone and talk to someone rather than submitting a form which is easily trackable.

Kinda frustrating, because I would like to have a relatively cheap service that integrates well into Adwords which can attribute conversions properly and detail my value proposition to my clients.

Currently have a web developer client who has a cpa of $200. He even told me that a lot of clients just call, so the true CPA is probably a lot less.

So it's annoying to not have the full facts.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

stickleback wrote:

However, there is another point I'd like to raise... you say that you can only achive positions 5 or 6 due to the limitations that the client places on the budget. In reality the limitations do not affect the bid... only the total amount spent - so the question here is do you want (and these are just illustrative numbers) 100 visits in postion 5 or 6 or 20 visits in positoin 1 or 2?

If you answer 100 - then I'd encourage you to think again. In many cases the quality of visitor that comes from the top positions - in terms of the conversions - in this case bookings - is higher that that of the visitors from ads in lower positions.

I would like to see hard evidence of this before I make my mind up. I'm sure they may be some variations, but I don't beleive the difference is that much.. perhaps 10-15% better quality clicks from being #1.

For the same cost, I would take 100 clicks at #5 than 20 clicks at #1 any day.

I don't think it matters to the extent you're saying, especially when #1 costs double what it does for say #5 on page one.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

We can agree to disagree if you like.... the fact is neither of us know - that's why I suggest testing - you need hard evidence? go get some - then you will know.

My comments are based on my own personal experience and may well not translate to your client's situation. I was quite careful not to make any firm claims - just suggestions, but in my experience if I only had to pay double to be in position #1 compared with #5 I'd probably end up taking that in many cases.... it's all about the cost per conversion not the cost per click.

If you could lower you cost per conversion from $25 to $15 would you do it?

I'd love to hear from others here about their experiences of conversions and ad positions.... anyone?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Check out www.bionicclick.com they push on-site calls directly into Adwords as an Adwords conversion.