AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

call conversion - multiple destination numbers

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Community, 

I am setting up call conversion tracking for websites and have a few questions. 

Will this work when there are multiple numbers on the website? ex. on the home page, the number is a general contact vs. on the product pages, a few numbers for various dealers are displayed. If Google is dynamically generating one number for one visitor (after they click on an ad), will I be able to know somewhere in AdWords, which number they are calling to? I haven't set this up so nothing under Call Details (under Dimensions) is populated. But judging by the available columns, I am not sure if there's a way to tell which number they are actually intending to call.

In addition to this, the site has a "dealer locator" function where results will be generated based on the zip code a user types in. Will the phone insertion work on the numbers within the search results? This is why the answer to the previous question is important because say if someone searched and found 5 closest dealers; called one of them, we'd need to know which number the actually called. Again, if dynamic number even works at that level. 

Excited to try the call conversion function out. Please share your insights! Much appreciated Smiley Happy

Regards,

Chenchen

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: call conversion - multiple destination numbers

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Good morning.

You can see the call volume for calls generated from clicks on your ads by selecting the "phone calls" as one of the columns to display. You can also see data on the Ad Extensions tab and the Dimensions tab, and by selecting "click type" as a view segment.

See Google forwarding phone number and Add forwarding numbers for advanced call reporting for a more detailed explanation.

Yes, the number Google assigns to your account is the one that gets displayed when the Call Extension is activated and your ad is shown.  

What happens on your website is entirely different--the Google phone number is not displayed on your website. When someone visitors your website and then decides to call, they will see whatever phone number is shown on the webpage. (If you want to track all the calls your advertising produces, you might want to consider a 3rd party call tracking service. More information here.)

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Chenchen W
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Chenchen and Theresa.
I am starting to experiment with the call conversion function on websites as well (after having used a third party product for a while.)

Theresa-- you seem to be saying that there is no way to display a Google tracking number on a website, BUT it appears that this capability is now offered:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722054?hl=en#calls_from_websites
(see the section under "Track Conversions on a Website")

Chenchen - I have been wondering the same thing about multiple numbers on a page since some businesses have multiple locations or multiple phone numbers for different divisions etc. I asked one of my Google support people and she wrote " As for tracking more than one phone number on a page, unfortunately, that is still not something we are able to do. " when I asked again, she wrote "Last time I checked the feature was still not able to accommodate more than one phone number on a page."
BUT I would like Google to clarify if there is a way to:
- track calls to different numbers on the same page that ring to those different numbers
- track calls to different numbers on the same page that ring to the same number
- otherwise track multiple numbers on the same webpage

Theresa-- can you clarify the status of Google's Conversion tracking for phone numbers on websites in general and specifically as it relates to multiple numbers?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
I am also starting to work with AdWords Website Call Tracking and I think part of the issue right now is that you need to specify the phone number to be replaced.

No having said that, if your phone numbers were different on different pages, I wonder if you could just alter your code for the varying phone numbers on those specific pages or maybe set up a second (or third) conversion for these additional phone numbers.

The one issue I currently see, and this is not to say that this couldn't be done by some tricky coding, but if you have multiple phone numbers on a single page, I don't believe that the current installation will support that.

I'm literally in the trenches with this right now and I'm collecting information and lessons learned along the way.

If a solution does arise where Google's installation will support multiple phone numbers, that will become a really useful change and I would guess may have a huge impact on how we track phone calls.

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I really appreciate your response! We ended up looking at a different solution provider. The questions you listed about are important questions I would keep exploring with Google conversion tracking. Thanks again!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Tommy,

Based on all of your insights here and other research I have done, the answers to my questions were both no and no. So I ended up looking up other solutions made for tracking website calls. Of course the price is much higher because most of these are charged on a phone number + mins basis. Totally agree with you that if Google offers something that works for multiple number, it'd be a great addition.

Happy to hear other learnings you gather along the way. Really appreciate you sharing them!

Chenchen

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Tommy,

Did you find a solution or conclusion to using the website call conversions for multiple numbers?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
From my experience the tracking number swaps out in one location per page (provided of course that you set it up correctly). If you have multiple dealers, or repeat occurrences of the same number, then these multiple numbers will not be tracked.

Also, it will only work for one domain per AdWords account.

For these reasons it's very limiting as far as it's usefulness. Incomplete tracking is not much better than no tracking.

Thankfully there are lots of third party solutions that don't have these problems.

Jake

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

HI Team, 

Could we please confirm if we have any solution to track multiple numbers on the website using GCT? 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Chenchen,

I added the call tracking code 3 times in the header of the website. I tested it with Google tag assistant and it gave me no error code.I can see the conversions and the source. So, that means that it is working. 

Best,

Charlie