AdWords
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

big bounce rate on branded keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi! Our ecommerce website has on average 30% bounce rate, however for the Adwords campaign on branded keywords (the exact name of our brand is generating most of the visits) we have a bounce rate of 97%! The landing page for this is the homepage, which usually has a bounce rate of 34%. What is going on? It seems so weird, did this happen to anyone before?

On the mix of our brand name + generic terms such as dress, coat etc we have a much lower bounce rate (under 10%).

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: big bounce rate on branded keywords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello,

I hope you are talking about Search network campaign here where the keywords are simply the Brand name of your website. In case it is not, then you should analyse the placements where your ads are getting displayed on Display Network.

Did you try setting some different landing pages for your Brand Terms to evaluate what happens when the visitor is directed to some internal page of the website rather than going to the Home Page especially for Branded Terms. That's one option you might try.

Also, try exploring the Content Experiments and showing different variation of landing pages to AdWords users for Brand Terms and see if that reduces the Bounce Rate. More details about it are here:- https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1745147

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Pankaj,

Many thanks for your suggestions. Yes I was referring to the paid search - branded keywords. The landing page is always the same for these branded keywords so I cannot see any variation. However this seems very weird to have almost 100% bounce rate. People coming from organic search - branded keywords don't have at all the same behavior. Maybe something is wrong with my Google Analytics?

Anca

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Sorry i meant in general people coming from organic search and also all the visits on that landing page