AdWords
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

big Analytics and Adwords mismatch

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

I've recently linked our GAnalytics account with Adwords and set up ecommerce tracking. Adwords reported 78 transactions in the last 30 days whereas Analytics is only reporting 42 - I was expecting a mismatch upto about 20% but not on this scale -Adwords will attribute the transaction to ppc if the cookie is showing in the browser even if the transaction is completed via a visit from a different channel (organic, direct or referral), whereas Analytics will only attribute the transaction to Adwords if it is the final visit - is this right, and if so could it account for the mismatch?

many thanks for any help

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: big Analytics and Adwords mismatch

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
@k3nn3dy you are 100% correct. Since the purchase cycle is different in every industry, it could be that people break the Google analytics cookie faster than the Adwords cookie gets broken.

You can see a bit more about that here:
http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2375435&from=140828&rd=1
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Karl (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi k3nn3dy,

You are correct. AdWords will claim the conversion as long as the AdWords cookie is present. Analytics will report the convsersion source as the last source. You can look at the Multi-channel sales reports to attempt to reconcile the differences.

Also, AdWords will report the conversion on the date of the original click while Analytics will report the eCommerce transaction on the date of the transaction. Those are tough to reconcile. Some of the transactions Analytics reports for the period will not be included in AdWords for the same time period because of this.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Great reply Pete

I wonder, however, if this ("AdWords will claim the conversion as long as the AdWords cookie is presen") only applies when you have implemented the conversion tracking code you get from AdWords? What if you have imported a goal from Analytics instead?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

I'd say that as long as even if you import conversions from Analytics in to AdWords, AdWords does not claim all conversions as AdWords conversions, then it can also tell the fact that it was involved in an assisted conversion in the last 30 days. After all AdWords and Analytics can share data in a linked account, cookies are set for the same domain, and they can be cross-read (and set). I think that whatever Analytics knows, AdWords knows as well, and Analytics does know that an assisted conversion should be credited to AdWords in the Multi-Channel Funnels.

My 2 cents.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi k3nn3dy,

To confirm what Calin has posted, it doesn't matter whether you use the conversion code or imported goals. Attribution is still the same. As long as the AdWords cookie is present, the conversion will be attributed to AdWords by AdWords and on the date of the original click.

Best!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I just want to get this really clear in my head regarding e-commerce values

Assume conversion code is implemented on the checkout page

1.  Adwords conversion code using the sale value

2.  Analytics e-commerce code using the sale value

Day 0   - customer clicks on AdWords  advert after aquery for keyword 'I want a thing' and visits site  and does nothing

Result

• AdWords cookie laid down, Analytics Cookie Laid down (assuming cookies allowed, that is a diffrent issue see EU cookie law - I digress)
  • Analytics record new visit, from source medium  google/cpc
  • AdWord records a click through / no conversion

Day 10 - customer remembers site and does an organic search on keyword 'brand' and clicks through (not an advert) and buys £10 of goods

Result

• Analytics records a returning visit  from source  google/organic
  • Analytics records an e-commerce tranaction of £10  against  google/organic for day 10, keyword 'brand'
  • AdWords does not record a click through,  but records a £10 conversion for day 0

Day 20 - customer remebers the confirmation e-mail send on day 10, and uses the link in the e-mail (lets say he uses yahoo e-mail) and clicks through to buy a further £20 of goods

Result

• Analytics records a returning visit from source mail.yahoo.blah.blah.
  • Analytics records an e-commerce tranaction of £20  against  mail.yahoo.blah.blah. for day 20  for keyword 'none'
  • AdWords does not record a click though, but records a second conversion on day 0 for £20

End result

AdWords reports

Day 0 - 2 conversion , value £30    - no keyword conversion information

Analytics reports

Day 0 - cpc keyword 'I want a thing',  a non converting keyword

Day 10 - organic keyword 'brand', converts £10

Day 20 - mail.yahoo referral converts £20

Assuimg that there are also another £1000 of non Adwords conversions, then at a simplistic level

• Analytics e-commerce   £1030 attributed to non AdWords visit  and £0 attributed to AdWords
  • yet AdWords conversion showing (arguably correctly) £30,   that is an 'infinite' variance

Using assisted conversion reports it is in some way possible to reconcile that the Day 10 & Day 20 conversion was 'assisted' by the Day 0   visit?

Have I got it, or have I missunderstood something?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hello.

I'd say it's like this:

- Adwords: 2 conversions, 1 one per click, 1 many per click, 30 GBP, 'i want a thing'

- Analytics is as you wrote it

If the mailer is different and maybe does not sent referrer info, then the 20 GBP conversion is attributed to organic as well.

And the multi channel funnels show the day 10 and day 20 conversions as assisted by the day 0, and day 20 assisted by 0 and 10.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks,

Part of my ignorance was that I didn't know you could see conversion value at keyword level, but I have just looked and you can add that. Is that a relatively new thing or did I just miss it all along.

Alan

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

It's been there for at least 2.5 years, but I assume it was there even before that (from the very beginning, I guess).

If you think of the mechanism that sets in motion the display of an ad, you realize the conversion can be attributed to any element which participated in the auction:

- the search query, typed by the searcher

- the keyword which the system selected as a match for that search query

- the ad group and campaign in which that keyword is placed

- the ad whose time to show has come (according to the rotation settings)

Plus all the other elements tracked by AdWords (location, time, device, etc.)