AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

auto-tagging enabled, but adwords doesnt append gclid to final url

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,
I have done a few adwords campaigns in the last years, and always was able to see analytics data like sessions, pages/session and so on.
For the newest campaigns I had to change destination url to final url.
Now, for the first time, no analytics data are displayed, neither in adwords nor in analytics.
I can see adwords clicks in analytics, but analytics data are empty/zero.
I checked everything I knew could be a cause:
- auto-tagging is "yes" in account settings
- my webserver passes gclid url parameter with all special characters
- when I append a gclid manually to the final url (which I copy from the ad), it passes through a redirect and appears correctly on the landing page address bar.
- I logged the url parameters on the final url (redirecting) page: indeed no gclid is provided when ads are clicked, but my manually appended gclids are logged
(EDIT: I mean real ad clicks, not test clicks within adwords frontend, which obviously don't supply gclids),
An example for a final url is: 

www.example.com/campaigns/VMredirect.php?cmp=VM05DE-GOLF&lang=de&target=golfoffers&ad=GOLFar
(I do  manual conversion tracking due to limitations of our booking engine)

I have no clue where the issue comes from.
Any help is appreciated.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Benno VM
August 2016

Re: auto-tagging enabled, but adwords doesnt append gclid to final url

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have now found out what was wrong. I didnt understand the tracking template/final url mechanism.
I expected the gclid to be appended to the final url, but adwords appends it to the tracking template. I thought adwords would call final url and tracking template both independently, and expected the gclid to be appended to the final url.

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

@Benno VM

It sounds like the gclid parameter is being lost on the redirect. I know you said your webserver is passing them, but I would recheck that part of things. 

A good way to see what is happening is to run the ad click url through a header checker.  You can do this by right clicking on your ad link, and copying the url.  It should look something like this: https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx&sig=xxxxxxxxxxxxx&q=&ved=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx&adurl=

The header checker will you show you every call made from click to landing page, and you'll be able to see what passes and what doesn't.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi David,
thanks for you reply.
I did the header checker test you suggested, and indeed adwords doesnt append a gclid parameter, it doesnt appear on the first redirect url as you can see on the screenshot, and of course not in the landing page url.
headerchecker.jpg
As I said, when I append it manually to the final url, it comes thru all redirects up to the landing page.
what else can be the reason? I have enabled autotagging, so what could keep adwords from appending a gclid parameter?
What do I miss?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Benno VM
August 2016

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have now found out what was wrong. I didnt understand the tracking template/final url mechanism.
I expected the gclid to be appended to the final url, but adwords appends it to the tracking template. I thought adwords would call final url and tracking template both independently, and expected the gclid to be appended to the final url.