AdWords
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

ampersand in {keyword}

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a customer with an ampersand in their brand name. When using the Value Track Parameter {keyword} the keyword value in the landing page URL is not fully URL encoded. The spaces are encoded but the & is not! For example {lpurl} mchxkw=k:{keyword} results in this URL for the landing page https://my-digitallife.att.com/learn/shop?mchxkw=k:at&t%20digital%20life

Is this normal behavior?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: ampersand in {keyword}

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

I hope this is normal behavior, if you have doubt about it use custom tacking for keyword level it must be suitable for your keywords.

Go through with the below steps for custom URL parameters.

Kw_tracking.JPGI hope this will address your problem.

Thanks,

Aravindhu

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Lj P,

Further to Aravindhu's excellent reply, when you make the keyword level tracking template, URL encode the & rather than the Value Track {keyword} so it doesn't present as a new name/value pair.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
So for every keyword using the & I will now need a "individual" Keyword Tracking Template where I need to provide the URL encoding for the & and other characters in the keyword along with my other value tracking parameters. We had been using a common tracking template at the campaign or ad level to make it easier to implement. Seems a lot of effort to shift from entering 1 common template to setting up a tracking template at each keyword and customize those that have the &.
That feels more like a "work around" than a solution but I thank you for the suggestion.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Anna Z,

Yes, it does seem like a work around. You shouldn't need to URL encode any more than the ampersand.

Pete
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lj P
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Lj P and Anna Z,

I found this article: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6076199?hl=en

This could be an easier way to get this done. Take a look at custom parameters. In the example, a custom parameter named _mykwid is used to translate keywords to keyword id numbers for an external tracking system.

Here's my idea, in the tracking template at the campaign or ad level, create a custom parameter, let's call it _mykeyword. Custom parameter names must start with an underscore. In the campaign or ad level tracking template, define _mykeyword as {keyword}. In your final URL, use https://my-digitallife.att.com/learn/shop?mchxkw=k:{_mykeyword}

Then, at the keyword level for each keyword with an ampersand define the value of _mykeyword as the URL encoded string. That should save you from entering a new final URL for each of those keywords. After setting the custom parameters up at the campaign or ad level, you could do all this with an AdWords Script if you are adept with Javascript. Note: the Javascript function encodeURI does not URL encode the ampersand either. You'll have to deal with that in your script.

Best of Luck!

Pete

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I think we can make this work using the custom parameter to put the keyword value into the URL and defining the default to be {keyword} but overriding those keywords with the & in them with the URL encoded keyword value. 

Thanks for all your help

LJ Purtee

Top Contributor
# 8