AdWords
4K members online now
4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

adwords testing

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

i have a client that needs to test if their website is tracking adwords conversions, data etc. They have set up a 'test' environment (non-production domain) and would like us to set up a 'test adwords environment. is this possible?

i see that i can set up a test using the adwords API & a Test MCC but it states that test data is not captured so i am not sure of the value in setting these up

can anyone offer any solutions in setting up the best/easiest test environment. i am looking to set up 1 ad with 1 test destination url and it can be remnant keywords (i.e. abs iz mac cheese)

Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jeff M
September 2015

Re: adwords testing

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Jeff,

As others have mentioned and as far as I'm aware there's no test environment for AdWords conversions. You could test goal tracking in Google Analytics without incurring cost and if you are importing goals to track as conversions, that would provide some insight, however, you still wouldn't know if your port from Analytics to AdWords was working correctly.

That said, I usually set up a separate campaign called "Test". Add a brand keyword (or something fairly cheap that we would normally get impressions for fairly easily) and then pause the real brand campaign so that you don't accidentally trigger the wrong term. Give the system a little time to register the campaign creation and the pausing of campaigns. Just to be sure, I will use a different ad in the test campaign than what I was previously using in the brand campaign - that way I can be sure that I'm clicking the right one. Then, go ahead and search for the keyword and convert. Once you've run the test, pause that campaign/reactivate the real campaign and the conversion shouldn't interfere with the rest of your campaign data.

My explanation makes it sound way more convoluted than it actually is, it only takes a few minutes to duplicate the campaign and pause the other.

Good luck!

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Yes, you can try with a landing page and a thank you page, to see if conversions are being tracked. Though I'm not sure about the API test you're referring to, it should work fine at the individual account level. You'll have to create campaigns and the conversion tracking code from the child account.

Cheers,
Sumanth
Sumanth Sridhar

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Are you using a temporary URL? If so I am not sure this would work since the display URL must mach destination URL. What would be your display URL?  - Would it be a URL of the domain hosting? Who would click on an ad with a display URL of a hosting vendor?

I would use the tools offered (e.g. Tag assistant) to verify that the code is in place and working;

Read more:
Checking your code in conversion tracking;
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722021?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
thanks.

we actually will use the same domain - the domain then has a click through to a 3rd party site in which we have cross domain tracking set up so we can track engagement back to adwords and analytics. this 3rd party site is a testing enviroment and we dont want to use 'live' ads to test (thus incurring cost-albeit minimal- but more important ku the data). i keep hearing about an 'adwords test environment' but i cannot find any information about it.

thanks!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jeff M
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Jeff,

As others have mentioned and as far as I'm aware there's no test environment for AdWords conversions. You could test goal tracking in Google Analytics without incurring cost and if you are importing goals to track as conversions, that would provide some insight, however, you still wouldn't know if your port from Analytics to AdWords was working correctly.

That said, I usually set up a separate campaign called "Test". Add a brand keyword (or something fairly cheap that we would normally get impressions for fairly easily) and then pause the real brand campaign so that you don't accidentally trigger the wrong term. Give the system a little time to register the campaign creation and the pausing of campaigns. Just to be sure, I will use a different ad in the test campaign than what I was previously using in the brand campaign - that way I can be sure that I'm clicking the right one. Then, go ahead and search for the keyword and convert. Once you've run the test, pause that campaign/reactivate the real campaign and the conversion shouldn't interfere with the rest of your campaign data.

My explanation makes it sound way more convoluted than it actually is, it only takes a few minutes to duplicate the campaign and pause the other.

Good luck!

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Nice approach by Amy on this subject.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks Amy. This is exactly what i need. Much appreciated for yours and everyone's insight!