AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

add tracking to e-mail signature

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I would like to see who clicks on the website link in the e-mail signature of my e-mails. How can i insert code that will take the e-mail address from the "to" line in the e-mail?

Thanks,

Leah Klyne 

<edited by a Community Manager as noted below>

Note: this post has been edited by a Community Manager, per our Community Guidelines, in order to remove a self-promotional signature. Thank you for your understanding.
2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author LEAH K
September 2015

Re: add tracking to e-mail signature

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Leah,

You can add parameters to track the number of sessions stemming from the email link, along with other metrics, however, you should never use Google Analytics to track personal information. It is strictly against Google's policy.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author LEAH K
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
As Amy said that is against Google TOS. But, you can add Chrome addon Streak.
With that you can see when someone opens your email, where it was opened, how often, etc.
But AFAIK it is not possible to add that data to Analytics. And it is against TOS.
Furthermoe, add UTM tags to your links, that way you can track a lot of different things.
Kind regards.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Leah,

Let's see if I have this right. You send marketing email to your list that includes a link to your web site and you want to know who that click was from?

This really not an AdWords question and this is an AdWords forum. I can give you a hint, but I really don't want to go into the details of implementation. I will assume either you or someone within your company knows what I'm talking about.

Here's one approach. You are creating the emails dynamically, so why not add the email address from the "to" line to the link itself? Use html in your email so the link doesn't look so ugly. In the href of the link: www.example.com/landingpage.html?email=anybody@example.com. When a visit comes from this link, save the email address for counting later. You can get numbers on visits from the link in Analytics using the utm parameters and manual tagging.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
A bit late in the conversation here but here is something you can do if you use a mailing solution such as Mailchimp.
Those will tell you (to some degree) who opened your e-mail.
If your e-mail contains links, use that mailer's CRM/fusion fields to insert additional URL parameters including an ID for the recipient. You can then use that ID in Google Analytics to examine user behavior on your site from the newsletter. You can grab the URL parameter and stick it into GA with a bit of Javascript or easily by using Google Tag Manager.
VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan