AdWords
5.6K members online now
5.6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

a/b testing across main & subdomain. Please help

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have 2 versions of page i want to A/B test for PPC campaign they are

1. example.com/deals

2. deals.example.com

When i try and set it up in website optimizer it i get a message saying i cannot set up to different domains.

Does anyone know a work around for this apart from changing deals.example.com to example.com/deals1. I would really like to keep the pages in the same locations.

Thanks

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: a/b testing across main & subdomain. Please help

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there,

That's weird because they're not even different domains, just a sub domain...

In terms of easy work arounds I don't think there is one unless you change the domain of the 2nd landing page. I found this article that suggests a more 'cody' approach to a possible workaround. Is that any use?

http://support.google.com/websiteoptimizer/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=117912

Let me know how you get on.

Jack Porter-Smith
Jack's G+

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi. Did you check out AdWords Campaign Experiments?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOZuFkyZUjw

I think you can easily create two ad groups, and run one a control only, and the other one as experiment only. Ads from one ad group point to one version of a page, and from the other ad group to the other version of a page, and you judge the numbers in the AdWords interface, not the Website Optimizer one.

You don't have to use WO for any kind of test, sometimes numbers and some calculations are enough. Best part of ACE is that they show you in the interface if the test is conclusive (if the numbers are statistically significant).

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi  

I am not running PPC campaigns on these pages. I have just revisited this problem and found your posts thanks guys.

I will try again and see what happens

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

With Google Content Experiments you do not need to be running AdWords - all of your traffic (or the percentage of the traffic that you choose) will run through the experiment. I wrote a brief intro to this here.

The subdomain should not be an issue provided it carries the GA tracking code.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Yes, I am now running GA Content experiment and its working!!!

Thank you for all your help!

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor