AdWords
5.7K members online now
5.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Zero clicks in Search Term reports - How?

D4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
D4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello.

Is there a way to see the search terms that triggered my ads but didn't receive a click?

I've tried running various search term reports, but it's only showing me the search terms that resulted in a click. Whilst this is great information, it would be even more helpful to see which search terms aren't getting clicks so I can potentially add those as negatives.

Thanks.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Zero clicks in Search Term reports - How?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

HI D4,

Are you running these search terms reports from the Adwords interface?  If so, you should be able to sort the clicks column ascending/descending and land the 0 click terms on the first page of the report. 

If that doesn't provide very much, I'd say you're in great shape.

Another option could be to check on your impressions, if you're generating impressions but no clicks, you could take the same approach.

Hope this helps.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author D4
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

Actually, no, the Search Terms report generally does not show you ad impressions that received no clicks.

While there's no way to see all the searches your keywords are getting that fall into that category, you can see a fair selection of the higher-traffic ones by using the Competitive Analysis feature (on the Opportunities tab).  It will show you where the bulk of your traffic came from for the available date range (generally 1-2 weeks in the past).

You can learn a lot from this tool--I'd certainly encourage you to go and spend some time on it.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

D4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
D4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Theresa -

Thanks for recommending the Competitive Analysis tool. Whilst it's extremely cumbersome to use, I can at least see some "clickless impressions" now, which is better than not seeing any at all. Smiley Happy

It's incredibly frustrating that Google doesn't make all the clickless impression data available to its advertisers. It pains me to think that my ads could be showing for totally irrelevant queries, negatively affecting my CTR. Hopefully this is something Google will remedy in the near future.

Thanks again.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Guys,

I will honestly say that I happened to look at a couple of accounts and was able to see zero click data (across varying time frames too), hence my 'sorting' suggestion.  However, after reviewing more accounts and the Competitive Analysis tool a bit more, I can certainly see how my suggestion is probably not the correct one and that the CA tool is the best route to go for seeking the 'clickless' KW.

Thanks for the suggestion Theresa! Smiley Happy

D4 - I'm thinking that you're probably not alone in your thoughts regarding the availability of a report like this.  Things are always changing, perhaps this will be included in some updates in the future.

For some further correction on my part...this help article makes great sense of this.

1. "Keep the following in mind when looking into impressions and clickthrough rates for search terms with very few ad clicks: impressions for a term are only shown in the table if your ad received at least one click within 30 days of the impression occurring. Otherwise, the impressions are recorded in the "Other search terms" row in the table. See below for more information about the "Other search terms" row."

2. Other Search Terms: "These search terms resulted in impressions (and sometimes clicks) for your ads, but they aren't listed individually in the "Search terms" table. Clicks and impressions for search terms are included in this row if both of the following are true:

- You didn't receive any clicks on this search term within the last 30 days (from someone who wasn't blocking their referrer URL).
    - The search term wasn't entered by a significant number of people.

Also, clicks and impression data for search terms entered within the last 24 hours will always be in the "Other search terms row." Check back later to see these in the search terms report."

Cheers!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’