AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Youtube Placement change for channels with under 10,000 views

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have been running a display ad campaign on the GDN, targeting several specific placements including Youtube. In March I had 807 clicks from ads that were placed on Youtube. In April, this number dropped down to just 8 clicks. My Leaderboard ad(728x90) appears to be the one most affected by this. I've seen that in April, Youtube stopped showing ads on channels with less than 10,000 views. It seems very likely that this is directly correlated, but I just wanted to see if anyone else had experienced drastic changes like this? What can I tell my client? Is it as simple as: "it appears the majority of our Youtube placements had been on channels with under 10,000 views in March."  Is the ad size relevant to this as well--does this mean that sites with less than 10,000 views were most likely to have leaderboard sized images on their channels?

I'm just looking for any extra details on this situation that I might have missed. It will be an interesting conversation with the client, but I'd just like some confirmation that this was mostly due to the new Youtube changes.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Aaron T
December

Re: Youtube Placement change for channels with under 10,000 views

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Aaron!

Thanks for reaching out to the AdWords Community.

It looks like the drop in clicks could have been a result of the announcement you’ve mentioned - viz. our policy implemented in April 2017 as safeguards to our YouTube Partner Programs - we stopped serving ads on Partner channels until they reach 10k lifetime views, and it's possible that this contributed to your drop in activity.

However, it should have begun picking up post-July 2017.  

Hope this gives you a better picture of what could have happened Smiley Happy

Best,

Varsha

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Aaron T
December

Re: Youtube Placement change for channels with under 10,000 views

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Aaron!

Thanks for reaching out to the AdWords Community.

It looks like the drop in clicks could have been a result of the announcement you’ve mentioned - viz. our policy implemented in April 2017 as safeguards to our YouTube Partner Programs - we stopped serving ads on Partner channels until they reach 10k lifetime views, and it's possible that this contributed to your drop in activity.

However, it should have begun picking up post-July 2017.  

Hope this gives you a better picture of what could have happened Smiley Happy

Best,

Varsha

Youtube Placement change for channels with under 10,000 views

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes we did see it start to pickup again towards the end of the summer. 

Thanks!