AdWords
5.8K members online now
5.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

YouTube In-Display discrepancies - View Rate vs.Completion Rate (view to 100%)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm having trouble determining what the "Viewed played to" column truly measures for video campaigns in AdWords. Specifically, I'm looking at data for an In-Display campaign with a :30 video. Here's a recap of about two weeks' data. These results are on par with other campaigns I've run. 

• Views: 2,008
  • Impressions: 232,773
  • View Rate: 0.86%
  • Video played to:
    • 25 - 60.27%
    • 50 - 44.90%
    • 75 - 37.32%
    • 100 - 31.10%

What's confusing is the tool tip that appears next to the Video played to column header: 

"Video played to" measures what percentage of viewers watched to that point in the video.

Example: If video played to 25% is 30%, it means that 30% of impressions watched at least one-fourth (25%) of your video.

That explanation doesn't mesh with the performance data. If only 0.86% of people (impressions) clicked on the In-Display ads (to expand them and view the video), how then could 31.10% of impressions also be completed views?

What makes sense is that 31.10% of views (clicks-to-watch, in the case of In-Display) result in completed views. I've not been able to find support documentation that supports my theory.

Any others out there encountered this issue?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Travis B
October 2016

Re: YouTube In-Display discrepancies - View Rate vs.Completion Rate (view to 100%)

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Travis B

you're correct. It's either a typo, or it may be considered in a different context.  Not ad impression, but rather video impression... which of course would be a view.

YouTube In-Display discrepancies - View Rate vs.Completion Rate (view to 100%)

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, @David K. I spoke with Google support about this topic as well. They confirmed that indeed I had identified an error in their tool tip (applies to In-Display only) and a hole in their support documentation. They also confirmed that my theory above was accurate, that viewed to 100% (again, In-Display only) applies to clicks on ads, aka "video impressions" as you stated.